Studio .22+ Lead Drive Gain Mod Pictures?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenniepickit

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm on my third boogie, first post, second .22 after an F30 upgrade that left me missing that sweet jangly rhythm tone and whisper level tube drive I got at 2am without waking the fam. 8)

I"ve been reading up on the lead drive mod here and haven't been able to find any pictures that are still linked and wondering if anyone still has any they could share a link to?

It's good to have found a .22+ this time and great to have that tone again, but I'd love to get that gain tamed in the lead channel.

I've got a 12AU7 in A1 and clipped c12, but the gain still isn't controllable the way i'd like so if anyone has pics I'd love to get a look at the board to evaluate if it's something I can handle myself.

Thanks!

I believe JD on this board performed the mod for the 22+ that I had. Sounded pretty great.

I might have a pic somewhere from when I did it to mine. I'll look and post later if I have pics.

V3A's plate resistor is 220K and that's where the screaming high gain is coming from, more than any other single component or section of the circuit.

Replace that 220K resistor with a lower value and you'll lower the gain. Try 150K and see where it takes you. Still too hot? 100K.

woodbutcher65 said:
V3A's plate resistor is 220K and that's where the screaming high gain is coming from, more than any other single component or section of the circuit.

Replace that 220K resistor with a lower value and you'll lower the gain. Try 150K and see where it takes you. Still too hot? 100K.

Hey thanks woodbutcher - so before I jump in is V3a gain regulation for just the lead channel?
I ask bc I was running into a cat and mouse game swapping tubes in V2 but kept loosing the gain structure I like from the rhythm channel...

Old thread and useful info. I never looked over that V3 Plate resistor, (I think it is at the FX Loop). Anyhow, I have done the Lead mod on a previous amp. I have another Studio .22 and decided to set the lead master at "5" on the knob. I tested ~350Kohm on a 500KA pot. So I put in a 330K resistor vs the mod. It was still really hot, so I just popped in a 12AU7 in V1. Slight adjustments to the graphic EQ and a slight roll off the guitar volume pot and I am digging the tones. I still may opt for the Lead Drive mod in the future but I think this arrangement is a keeper.

Back