How does the effects loop work in the Quad/Studio preamp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Buu

Reaction score
Theres no explanation in the manual, since effects loops are normally post preamp, im puzzled as to what stage the effects loop signal is situated in these preamps, I assume its post tone stack (after the stage that the main knobs on the front deal with) but pre amplification?

Effects loop in Studio Pre is after Eq
Effects loop in Quad is after EQ Reverb mixer circuit but before pull deep Tube
Google the schematics

I don't use the effect loop, it's too compressed sounding using the return and master volume, for my taste. Instead, I go from the send to my loop effects and then to the power amp. That last stage, master volume is a tone sucker, whereas when I go straight from the send it very open sounding.

I learned that from the manual!

Markedman said:
I don't use the effect loop, it's too compressed sounding using the return and master volume, for my taste. Instead, I go from the send to my loop effects and then to the power amp. That last stage, master volume is a tone sucker, whereas when I go straight from the send it very open sounding.

Thats pretty cool, for now im stuck with it as im playing direct, the recording out makes a huge difference in tone. Might sound like a dumb question but do you know if you can plug straight into the effects loop, and completely bypass the input 'Instrument' jack? I guess the relevant front knobs assigned to the pre effects loop stage get made redundant, after consulting the schematic.

I'm going to have to try that out later. Had my quad for a few weeks and it's been amazing.

Back