Considering sending in a IV for servicing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman

Reaction score
Anyone send their IV in for a service going over at Mesa, what did it change (besides fixing some obviously broken function)? Is the packing a hassle (any tips on that)?

I always pined for a mark IV and picked one up a couple of years ago. The amp is the only Mark IV I've personally had experience with and it just feels like something is wrong with it. Also gets a little smell when it gets warm, like components cooking, though no smoke..Wondering if it is time for a servicing of it.

More so coming to the conclusion because I've been expecting to be blown away by the mighty IV and haven't been. Gave myself time to learn the ins and outs of the amp, but it hasn't changed. My V sounds better and my III blows it out of the water, and it just seems like the IV should be the king between the three of them. I'd pick up another IV but they don't come around too often and also I transplanted this one from a slightly beat up combo into a new head shell. Also had picked up a complete new set of tubes from doug's...

I guess I'm just looking to

If it’s never been serviced, probably a good call to do so. I’ve sent many amps to Mesa, but not a Mark IV. From what I have read and discussed with others about them, it can get a little pricey to service them, particularly a cap job (reportedly in the $700 - 800 range). Best bet is to contact Mesa and they should be able to give some estimate based on your amp, rather than rely on what I mentioned above.

Shipping: Just send the chassis, and, if you use the foot switch, consider sending it along, too. Pack it securely so it doesn’t rattle around, and surround it in at least 2” of bubble wrap or dense styrofoam on ALL sides. I tape a piece of cardboard over the top of the amp chassis to protect the circuit components. You can choose to send your tubes, or not - they’ll use bench tubes for testing.

What you’ll get back: An amp that is good as new, and a platform for you to decide whether or not it’s the amp for you. If it’s not, you’ll at least have a desirable amp that has been recently serviced that you could put on the market. Whether or not it all makes financial sense?... that’s up to you. Good luck!

Back