Determining Speakers For Old Half Back Metal Grill 4X12

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff5

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm trying to get some clues as to what may be in the bottom of this cabinet that I am looking at. The top speakers are MC-90s. The back plate says:

4X12 4YB
CEL/VNTG
Combined power capacity 280 watts

Any ides what the bottom speakers might be?

Thanks!
Jeff

Black Shadow Vintage 50W, most likely. Eminence speaker. There’s an older thread:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41730

Yes, the VS-12, Vintage Black Shadow, 50 watts, built by Eminence in collaboration with Mesa. That MC-90/VS-12 was a common configuration for the 4x12 cabs during the late 80s, and it was often fitted in the Studio/Caliber combos. My first Boogie 4x12 was the same. I usually favored mic'ing this speaker when playing out, unless the mic stand was too short, in which case the desk got the Electro Voice from the bottom cab.

It turns out that, regardless of what the back plate says, these aren't Eminence speakers at all. When I took the bottom half off, the cabinet has EVM 12Ls in it. I believe these are the 200 watt Electro Voice speakers. No wonder when I plugged in my Mark IV it almost ripped my head off!

It sounds KILLER with the Mark IV, even with the half open back. I still may have a half back built for it just to see if it adds more punch and thump, not like that is needed though.

Back