Thoughts on this IIc+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

journeyman73

Reaction score
Any thoughts on provenance and/or condition?

https://reverb.com/item/37107610-1984-mesa-boogie-markii-c-with-reverb-and-wood-finish-and-wheeled-road-case

I feel like it is priced close to $3k too high. Also without Mike B. putting eyes on it I wouldn't trust that it is a C+. It is marked like a IICI, and dispite what anyone says, there were late IIC amps that would pass the loop test. I have one that I had Mike B convert to a IIC+ and it passed the loop test before I shipped it for the mod. There is a thread on here where I was talking about it and BoogieBabies himself popped in and relayed an amp he came across that was also just a IIC that passed the test. And even though the seller said he spoke to Mesa and they confirmed it, they honestly don't have the best records from that time, and depending on who you spoke with at Mesa I have seen many instances of them having incorrect info. Yes I know they are the company that built the amps but sometimes fans of things know way more than the creators, just is what it is. So until Mike B holds that amp in his hands and says "yes it is a C+ we forgot to mark" I ain't sold on it. That serial number is close to the accepted factory run, it is still low enough to have slid out of the factory as a C. But bottom line is it is waaaaaaay over priced no matter what.

As I understand it, a Mark IIB can have an RP11A revision PC board which makes it possible to get it upgraded to C+ specs.

It's only the RP11A board that allows this.

The RP10 or RP11 can be upgraded to C+, so only the IIC can be upgraded. If a IIB has either of those boards it was upgraded to a IIC or IIC+ previously, most likely in the '80s. Most IIB amps have the RP9, which cannot be upgraded to IIC+ as it lacks the LDRs needed for the conversion

Techincally the SP10 and SP11 can also be upgraded to C+ (the non reverb model boards) too (the R in the RP stands for Reverb). But yes IIBs usually have a RP9/SP9 and can't be upgraded to a C+ unless it was upgraded in the 80s/90s when Mesa still had the 10s and 11s in stock (they now have run out).

My money is that this is a IIC with an RP11 board probably that hasn't had the + mod done to it. These did exist and due to the lead circuit changes in the RP11/SP11 probably could pass the loop test so this makes sense with what has been written here. I think the initial idea was that the customer would choose whether they wanted a C or a C+ but eventually they just all just ended up having the + mod done before they left the factory. If you're asking that money you need to have Mike B verify it, or at the least show some pictures of the inside and get someone who knows to verify it as a C or C+

Back