Power Amp for Studio Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Newbie to the forum and Mesa. Recently got a studio preamp and it sounds great. However I think it would sound better through a better power amp than my DSL40 or Peavey VTM120. What are the best suggestions? Budget isn’t a a problem, I want good hard rock/metal tones. If there are other helpful threads on this topic already feel free to scold me! Thanks.

My understanding is the studio pre is supposed to be similar to a mark preamp, so my best advice is a 2:Ninety or 50/50, but you could also consider using the power section of a Mark series amp. I haven't seen a schematic for the 2:Fifty so can't comment on that one.

A huge part of the boogie mark sound is in the poweramp, they use the feedback circuit to tweak the EQ. If you use a Fender / Marshall / Rectifier style power amp I don't think you'll get what you're after, it will seem really bright / harsh with little lows, and no growl in the upper mids.

Hi!

I have that setup with the studio preamp and 50 50. It's awesome. It sounds amazing for both rhodes piano and guitar, which I didn't really expect because I got it for guitar.

You can hear it here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u0K2CNSi3w
The cab for the recording is just a Marshall stack in amplitude. In real life I play it through the cab of a Fender Twin because that's the only cab I own. If you want I can post a demo with that, but I don't own a room mic preamp yet, so I can only close mic.

Anyway my question is would it sound even better through a Stereo 400, the 295 or 395? I see someone selling a 395 near me for $550 that needs to be retubed. But I want to try the 295 for the option of either EL34 or 6L6. I also want to try the 400 because Mesa themselves seem to say it is the best. The thing is I don't care about volume. I just want good tone at a low volume. I know the manual says for the Studio Preamp they recommend the 295 or 400. Are these other power amps better tone wise or just louder than the 50 50 I already have?

Peace,
Karl

Ok cool! Do you have any sound clips with the difference between the two? I’m a big Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and Van Halen fan. I know Kurt Cobain played the Stereo 400 and Billy Corgan played the 500, but I feel like the 50 50 is very close, although I’ve never played the 400 or 500 in person and can’t find a direct comparison.

Thanks.

I will do a video this week. My Rectifier Recording preamp is arriving this afternoon from Mesa Boogie after a check up and I'm interested in how the Rec pre works with both power amps.

The reason - Mesa Boogie recommends the 295 simul class stereo power amp is 3 fold.
1. It has the massive power trans. Which gives you massive headroom & string articulation & fell.
2. You can shuffle all the power tubes & try_6l6-el34-6ca7-kt77- mix & match for huge tonal variations.
3. Run 2 ch stereo from a 2 ch pre or mono 1 input then parallel to 2 ch outputs to 2 cabs.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back