IIC+ tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbagg

Reaction score
Got an old Mullard today, i61! Put it and an old Tungsgram in the Boogie! Also through in 2 Winged C 6L6 and 2 Winged C el34. Amp is pretty quite even with gain pushed. Really rounded out the top end but kept it harmonic, detailed, and present in the warmest way. From bright and deep cleans to a perfectly classic rock mid gain tone to a smooth higher gain lead tone, so far so good! Still waiting on a few more preamp tunes to arrive.

I make terrible recordings, but may see if I can get some cleans and rock in a quick clip.

What are some favorite tubes? I hear the Bugle boy is killer!

https://youtu.be/kW1piG2IaNI

I really like the old Mullards best in my C+s. I usually run a F91 or F92 long plate in V1 and V5, but a I61 is nice there is s well. I like the I63 in V2-V4.
I have a solid stash of old tubes so I roll them around when I get bored. I like Tungsrams in the C+, and for a time at least they were the stock tube in C+ amps. I tend not to mix brands too often though, and usually put all of one brand in at a time.
As for Bugle Boy, just look for Heerlen Holland Amperex I65 tubes. Just check the etched code it will start with a delta. That is what a Bugle Boy is just without the branding. Find some Hammond organ pulls they were fairly well selected examples. But any of the other branding of the Holland Amperex are good time. I would say the Amperex tubes are my second favorite to the Mullards. They are similar to the Mules but I'd say the mids aren't quite as sweet. I do think the Amperex have a little bit more grind going on though.
Some old RFTs (German) are nice too, seem to be a bit more high gain than the others mentioned.
I'm not a big fan of RCA or GE 12ax7s unless you are just playing clean. They sound great clean, but a little boring on the distorted side.
Some old Bel (India) or Matsushita (Japan) are nice finds too, they were both made on Philips/Mullard tooling and design and can usually be found a little cheaper.

fatbagg said:
I make terrible recordings, but may see if I can get some cleans and rock in a quick clip.

Sounds awesome. I have also discovered that a Suhr through a IIC+ Simul is the most unbelievable sound in the world. Love the no-inlay fingerboard on yours! Great to hear some non-scooped Boogie IIC+ action!

Back