Mark IIC+ Serial Number Question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystidream

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question for you. I was reading the C+ sticky and couldn't find any info about what I'm wondering. I'm buying a C+ and the serial number is 123XX. Is that a IIC that was converted to a IIC+? Regardless of whether or not its an original IIC+, I'm still buying it, but I just wanted to get some info from you guys since you definitely know your s**t. Boogiebabies, any help?

Read this http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/serials.html

So you're right, it's probably a converted IIC, but only collectors give a f**k. It will absolutely sound awesome anyway.
Do the FX loop test, so you're certain it's a C+

It's 50/50. Jerseydrew was selling 12,330 and it was a IIC. The serial numbers do not exactly equate to the exact build date range, but I assume Mesa was calling back all orders in the transition around 12/83 to ask if the customer wanted the new "+" revision. Anything between 12,300 and 12,500 is possible, but a visual inspection of the circuit board is the only way to tell if it was born that way. 12,337 was from 2/84 and is by far the earliest factory IIC+ I have ever seen, but 12,300 could have a chance.

Thanks for the info, guys. I don't have the amp yet, so I can't post gut shots, but when I do get the amp I'll post gut shots. In the meantime, here's some shots of the front and back, and this is definitely one of the cleanest IIC+'s I've seen.

DSC_0250.jpg

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

Elpelotero said:
The Gain Boost knob is another tick towards making it a IIC.

True but not necessarily, my original early number Simul has a Gain Boost faceplate and my earlier numbered IIC->IIC+ upgrade has a pull deep on it. I will get the # off my original simul tonight, it's definitely one of the first originals in the 12xxx range.

The Pull Deep with EQ faceplate was out before Christmas 1983. It's just a leftover. The early ones could have come either way. It's nice that it's a Simul-Class.

Here's my guess, a post 1991 upgrade. It's got the MK IV warning sticker on the PT. The PT looks like a 105.

Boogiebabies said:
The Pull Deep with EQ faceplate was out before Christmas 1983. It's just a leftover. The early ones could have come either way. It's nice that it's a Simul-Class.

Here's my guess, a post 1991 upgrade. It's got the MK IV warning sticker on the PT. The PT looks like a 105.

Is that good, bad? I'm not too knowledgeable on the transformers? So its just a C that was upgraded to a C+ and has a leftover faceplate? Do I have the gist of it? Haha.

Boogiebabies said:
We will not know for sure until we get the pics of the circuit board and numbers off the transformer. It looks good so far.

Cool. I should be getting it in the next two weeks. After that I'll post some gut shots.

I called Boogie and spoke with Chris in customer service and gave him the serial number, he verified that it is a IIC that was upgraded to a IIC+. The update was done in 2003 by Mike B.

Very cool indeed. I plan on sending it to Mesa after I get it, just to have everything checked out and whatnot. Thanks for all the help guys.

When I get the amp, I'll still post the gut shots, I know you guys are into that stuff. Haha.

Boogiebabies said:
Save your money on the check up. If Mike did it in '03 it should be fine.
The pictures will tell us if anything is blown.

K. I'll take your advice on that one. Thanks for all the help, Ed. You're extremely knowledgeable about these things huh? Haha.

I can't wait to get this thing, its definitely one of the cleanest ones I've seen. From what I can tell there aren't even any scratches on the faceplate or EQ or any of that. I'm gonna baby the s**t outta this thing when I get it. :D

I think I may be transplanting that baby into my hardwood head shell and putting my Mark IV into that black shell also. Haha.

mystidream said:
I called Boogie and spoke with Chris in customer service and gave him the serial number, he verified that it is a IIC that was upgraded to a IIC+. The update was done in 2003 by Mike B.

Very cool indeed. I plan on sending it to Mesa after I get it, just to have everything checked out and whatnot. Thanks for all the help guys.

When I get the amp, I'll still post the gut shots, I know you guys are into that stuff. Haha.

Chris knows his stuff for sure...(now i understand why it was at G.C. for so long).

Richb

richb said:
mystidream said:

Chris knows his stuff for sure...(now i understand why it was at G.C. for so long).

Richb

Why's that?

mystidream said:
richb said:
mystidream said:

Richb

Why's that?

Because you have Mesa users,like myself that like to know that you own a original IIC+ that and the Value thing.(it's really not much of a big deal)
Phil if I were you,i'd check into that price because what you told me,seems WAY TO HIGH!
hey if you do cop it good luck and congrats.
i was really hoping you were gonna get that hardwood IIC+ on ebay because it matched your IV to a tee...would have been sweet!
give me a call tonight...(got some serious news,guess who called) :D
Richb

richb said:
mystidream said:
richb said:

Richb

Why's that?

Because you have Mesa users,like myself that like to know that you own a original IIC+ that and the Value thing.(it's really not much of a big deal)
Phil if I were you,i'd check into that price because what you told me,seems WAY TO HIGH!
hey if you do cop it good luck and congrats.
i was really hoping you were gonna get that hardwood IIC+ on ebay because it matched your IV to a tee...would have been sweet!
give me a call tonight...(got some serious news,guess who called) :D
Richb

I'm gonna get it regardless. Its not like its a rip-off of a IIC+ or anything ,its an actual IIC+, it just so happens that it was a IIC that was upgraded to a IIC+. I think its a good price especially for the condition its in. I would probably care about it being an original IIC+ if I was a collector, but I'm not. When I get the thing I'm gonna play it all the time. My friend's IIC+ was originally a IIC that was converted to a IIC+ and Mike B. told him that a IIC that was upgraded is still a IIC+ no matter what anyone says, it just wasn't originally made that way. My friend's IIC that was upgraded to the C+ smokes by the way, sounds huge and its one of the nicest amps I've played to date. I think I'll be happy with my purchase.

That hardwood would've been cool, but I'd much rather have the Simul-Class. I'm pretty sure that this thing will keep its value. :D

I've got both an upgrade and an original. The upgrade is a 60/100 and the original is a simul. Both amps kick *** and get equal use. I would never turn my nose up at an upgrade for any reason. I know you'll be very happy with the amp; there's truly nothing like it.

Back