Modification to move Graphic EQ and/or Reverb after Effects Return

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadboogie

Reaction score
Is it possible to move the location of the Graphic EQ and/or Reverb to after the Effects Loop Return on a .50 Caliber+?

It's probably heresy to explain my reasoning, but I'll share anyway. I'm using the Boogie more and more often as a power amp for my modeler. It works surprisingly well. Purists on either side of the tube/modeling divide need not shame me publicly. There are many situations where having that EQ (and possibly the reverb) is helpful, but since they are before the loop, they are out of reach.

Suspect it's probably cheaper to add a GEQ to the effects loop (or use the one in the modeler), but I do like the idea of having this built into the front panel of the amp.

I wanted to do that to my .50 Cal+. A friend of mine had a Line 6 Vetta Head that had a global EQ so you can tune the amp to different rooms a little bit, and I figured that if the .50 Cal EQ was after the FX RETURN, I could use it in the same way. I decided against it for a few different reasons:
1. I'm not an electronics expert and didn't want to start modding a piece of equipment that could potentially kill me
2. The cost of getting an amp tech to mod the amp is too high compared to just buying an EQ pedal and putting it in between my multi-fx and the FX RETURN of the .50 cal
3. A 5-band EQ is really more than you need for the purpose of tuning an amp to a room, you really just need something like on the Vetta, just something to adjust the high and low a bit
4. The 5-band on a Mesa Boogie belongs as part of the signal chain of the preamp because the tone controls on a Boogie are pre-gain, they're like frequency-dependent gain controls (set them to 0 and you get barely any sound no matter how high you have the gain), and the 5-band is there to shape the tone post-gain, more like how a Marshall tone-stack behaves, and when you use the EQ in this way, you wouldn't necessarily want the EQ settings you use to get your tone with the .50 Cal+ preamp to affect all your other tones.

I know that you said that you use modeling and don't use the preamp (I use my multi-fx in 4-cable method, so the preamp is available to me in the FX loop of the multi-fx), but maybe it makes more sense to sell it and buy a power amp and a cabinet (or a powered speaker) and an EQ pedal instead of doing a modification that could be expensive and might affect the value of the amp.

Latest posts

Back