Modded my DC-5 - more like Mark/previous Caliber

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I signed up a few months back but the activation e-mails weren't going out. Tried again and here I am.

I have a DC-5, it was my first fancy amp, after a generic solid-state cheapie and an Epiphone Valve Junior. But I never got along with the lead channel, I found it smooth at the cost of everything else. I was not in a good state of mind when I decided to mod it instead of just selling and getting something more like what I want, but I already hacked it up. It's this weird in-between - not a Mark, not a Recto - but looking at the schematic, I thought I could make it more like a Mark, or at least the previous Caliber series. The main change was that I disabled the second tone stack and moved the controls to the first tone stack. Now it hits the mark.

Here is a quick demo from a while back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmzHPY9l214

I need to make a new demo video, I've changed it a little after this (jumpering over a voltage dropping resistor for the lead channel).

I just watched your video. Your DC5 sounds more round e and creamy than my rev b. Great sound. More Markish :)

Interesting. I had a DC-3 and Studio .22+ at the same time and chose to keep only the 22 because I didn't care for the DC-3's lead sound. The DC-3 had a better clean sound and made less noise, but the lead sound was too strident, for lack of a better word.

2 years later... I just bought my 2nd DC-5 so I'd like to mod one this way after the FX Loop, Blanket and Ouput mods on the other. Do you have the details of the mods you conducted by any chance?

Back