How rare is my Mark I?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewweir

Reaction score
I have a Mark I 60/100W Combo with an EQ in pretty decent condition. I bought it second hand in LA in 1984, had a reverb fitted by Mesa Boogie in Petaluma in 1988, then shipped it to the UK where I live and haven't really played it for many years, so it's had a good life without being hammered.

It has a serial number of A138, which I think makes it a pretty early model indeed. Just wondering whether this makes it more valuable / collectible? If so, could anyone hazard a guess as to the value?

Many thanks!

A138 is def an early version. Hard to pin down exact year w/o more details, but assume early/mid '70s. (I have A-074, as well as A-080, both of which date to '74.)

You can get a better idea of date by checking pot & transformer codes. There may be a date written on the underside of chassis, but not sure when this became regular practice (neither of mine have it).

Does yours have a Dymo label for serial or the Property Tag? Prune Music sticker (which, at this point may just be a faded, silver rectangle). Any push/pulls?

Would be great to see some pix.

Many thanks for your reply.

It has a dymo label for the serial number and does not have push pull controls on the front panel.

I will send pictures in a few days when I’m back home from vacation!

andreweir - A138 = dymo serial number. How is the cabinet finished?

Alscnier - A-074/A-080 : not dymo serial numbers? "Property Tag" serial? Do either have a plexi front panel or welds on the corners of the chassis? How are these amp cabinets finished?

Do all three amps have the non-trademarked white "Boogie" logo with gray drop shadowing?

Any of the cabinets have the amp serial number stamped on the right side (looking at the back) post?

If any of the three are combos, is the front grille cloth removable?

Trying to get more information on the time at Boogie between making snakeskins and tan/blonde/white tolex.
Would be great to see some pix of all three amps!

Example: A121
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=320055

George Harrison, 1974 in front of three combos
https://britrockbythebay.blogspot.com/2012/05/george-harrison-november-1974-part-1.html

While here, is there a good post on the various hardwoods used on Boogies during the Lagunitas (Mark I) days? Koa? Mahogany? Bubinga? Maple? Oak?
Lost!
thanks,
-10LocustAve

10LocustAve - That thread from the steel forum is great!

Here are a few details on mine (pix forthcoming):

A-074: 60/Reverb
- Blonde/Tan
- Welded chassis
- metal faceplate w/ glossy silkscreen
- no Boogie logo (no shadow or screw holes either)
- no Dymo labels
- has “property tag” serial (similar to A-121) & a Prune Music sticker (not a Mesa Sticker) on rear
- Altec speaker
- no push/pull pots

A-080: 100/Reverb
- Black/black (prob not original, as it has Sus-4 cups on top, though this may be a later modification)
- Welded Chassis
- Metal faceplate w/ glossy silkscreen
- White Boogie logo, no trademark, no grey
- Dymo labels (speaker, pots, etc), Property Tag serial, + Prune sticker
- EV12
- push/pull on 1st 2 pots
* This one also has an old Dymo label that says “Eric Johnson” that looks like it’s the same age as amp

I’m going to look for serial # on cab & post some pix in the coming days.

I'm sorry for this post but I've been trying to post photos of my Mark 1 and keep getting an error message.

I contacted both the platform administrator, and the moderator Ned, but neither are replying. I've run out of other options.

I'm trying to post a message which contains a URL and I keep getting this
error message. "Forbidden. Please enable JavaScript"

The Preview looks fine, but this error message happens when hitting Submit.

I've tried using both Safari and Chrome with JavaScript enabled but get the
same error. I've also looked through the FAQ but can't see anything
relevant. I've been able to post ordinary messages with just text with no
problem.

Any ideas?

andrewweir: not sure, but I received same when trying to post pics from this closed auction.

https://reverb.com/item/38621524-blues-legend-nick-gravenites-mesa-boogie-prototype-1972-approx-white-cream?show_sold=true

alschneier: the link has pics of A-071, a 100W variation on A-074. Is your reverb knob on back of chassis? do either amps have sharpie markings?

thanks! I just need to put a URL into my message (so people can see photos in my GoogleDrive) but can't even do that.

Latest posts

Back