Pedal in Mark IIb loop for IIC+ -like liquidness?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickompositör72

Reaction score
EDIT: I've found I actually don't need to use a pedal to achieve what I wanted. There is an update to all of this in the thread I linked below.

I'm wondering if anyone has a go-to pedal they put in their IIb (or in front; whatever works better) to just slightly push the IIb's lead sound into IIC+ liquidy territory.

With the IIb's I've owned, I found the note bloom was just as beautiful as the IIC+, but the liquidy factor was not quite there (whether loop-mod'd or not). From what I know of the IIC+ circuit, as compared to the IIb, it increases the gain/saturation a bit, which seems to create that liquid sound. I'm actually fairly confident that, with the right pedal, I can get a liquidy sound similar enough to the IIC+ to satisfy myself.

Anyone have experience with this? I should add, I'm not going for a metal-type rhythm sound- I'm trying to recreate a sweet, liquidy IIC+ tone when the lead drive is around 7-8. Petrucci-esque, but slightly less saturated and less scooped.

I never seen it happen. This type of pedal in the loop is typically just gets harsh and flub. That's why you never see anyone use one in the loop.

Maybe a GEQ in the loop.....but it's never going to be the same.
I never had any luck using a pedal to make one amp sound like a other amp. But you might find something you like.

I have heard the term used to describe the IIc+ as Liquid tone - but what does that mean - what is liquid about a IIc+ compared to say a III blue stripe or Mark V in IIc+ mode as I have both them amps and I would not use a term to say how it sounds as liquid ?

Casey

I’ve found just connecting the loop straight through and giving it a little boost gave some nice extra edge. It’s been a while but there was definitely a step up in that regard by just using the loop as another stage.

I interpret "liquid" to mean, it has so much available gain that the overdrive becomes extremely smooth, particularly in the midrange and treble frequencies. There's not a trace of clean tone left. It's all harmonics, and so rich that the tone "feels smooth" rather than being gritty, harsh, grindy, coarse, abrasive, whatever descriptor you care to use, when you have much less overdrive in play.

Also not having too many really high harmonics, as in not running the presence at max level, tends to keep it feeling smooth and liquid. It's about having enough harmonics, but not TOO much.

I have a EH graphic fuzz that looks like it's been kicked around for 40 years.
I wouldn't try to use it to recreate the IIC+but it is remarkable in it's ability to shape the soundscape and feel.
It was used extensively with with a Peavey Heritage, the real tone monster from the 80's. Seriously I had never heard of the IIC+ but the 387's in it that I knew nothing about at the time are the forgone secret sauce.

Back