Should I convert my HR IIc+ to DR?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickompositör72

Reaction score
Talk me out of it before I do it!

It requires an output transformer from another simul (Mark III or earlier, before Mark III's went to pentode, I think?)

Anyways, the correct transformer is on hand, and it is on Mike B's bench. Should I do it?

I love my DRX for the sweet, liquidy lead tones. The HR is sweet and liquidy, but not as much as my DRX. The HR has the 100PT, which should work very will in simul, I believe (?)

I'm not interested in chugging rhythm, so I don't need that super tight, fast bass response. I just want sweet overtones and bloom and liquidyness

If you already have a SimulClass IIC+ with the DRX, what are you hoping to gain with another one? Wouldn't that make them closer in sound? (I'm not sure what the voltage differences are between the 100PT and the Export.) Is the HR simply a backup for the DRX? If so, maybe consider it. If not, why not keep some variety?

skelt101 said:
If you already have a SimulClass IIC+ with the DRX, what are you hoping to gain with another one? Wouldn't that make them closer in sound? (I'm not sure what the voltage differences are between the 100PT and the Export.) Is the HR simply a backup for the DRX? If so, maybe consider it. If not, why not keep some variety?

I did consider this (for variety), but every time I played the HR, I just missed the DRX. The HR is indeed a sort of "backup"

I think I'll go through with it! Curious if I'll hear much difference from the 100PT to the export

Also, my DRX has the crazy brightness that they started doing with later IIc+ simul's, and the HR -> DR would not have that. I want to eventually have that brightness reduction mod done to my DRX, so it'd be nice to have one right away with less brightness!

skelt101 said:
And so, how does it compare to the DRX?

Very interesting, it seems to still have a tighter bass sound than the DRX. Non-EQ, but still tight rhythm is possible with nothing in the loop. Nails MOP tone with an MXR 10-band EQ in the loop. I don't really play this type of music, but it is fun to play those riffs!

Lead tone is different, as well. Not as "liquidy" as the DRX, but super, super sweat. The note bloom is incredible, maybe the most interesting I've ever heard from an amp. I slightly prefer the DRX because it just sounds a tad more liquid, with still incredible note bloom. However, I'd say the simul-class IIC+ with the 100PT (RP-10 preamp board) is the most vocal sounding lead tone I've ever heard.

I actually just sold it, because I'm regaining my sanity I realizing I only need one IIC+. As I'm writing this, I'm missing it!

EDIT: I should also add, it doesn't have as much gain as the DRX. I've read another thread here mentioning that a DRGX had more gain than a DRG 105PT that it was compared with.

Firefight said:
You, u sold it.

I'd say it turned fantastically:

1. I liked it better after the simul-class conversion. I just happened to still like my DRX better, and I realized I don't need 2 Mark IIC+'s. That's why I sold it.

2. the sale covered all of the service + mod'ing costs.

Latest posts

Back