Mark IIb loop mod users- help dialing in, please?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickompositör72

Reaction score
I just got my IIb S "Super Sixty" back from Boogie (SN 88XX), with a loop mod & service.

I hate to say it- I'm quite a bit disappointed. It really does not sound anything like either of my IIc+'s. The two biggest differences are a nasally-mid honk that I can't dial out (even with EQ in the loop), and a sort of "stuttering" when playing leads with fast alternate picking. Perhaps it's some low-frequency clipping, either from the pick attack, or the initials "twang" of the string. I stumbled on some settings (combined with MXR 10-band EQ in the loop) that seemed to diminish this to a large degree... let's see if I can stumble back onto them again!

Both the mid-honk and the stuttering were present before the mod. I thought the mod would more or less "fix" them.

I can tell that the bottom end is tighter, so that's a plus. Also, there is more gain on tap. I'm using the new "post fx level" that Mike B. installed on the back as a master volume. I'm messing around with all of the push-pulls (Treble "pull-shift" seems to accentuate the mid-honk), and messing a lot with the presence, as well.

Another note on the bright side- the amp now has a much more vocal quality. When I sustain notes, the sound envelop is very beautiful and interesting, like my IIc+'s. However, there really isn't much fluid or liquidy quality to the leads.

Something fishy is going on...

I set my EQ to how I usually do for my favorite lead tone out of my IIc+ HR. I plugged that EQ into the loop of the IIb, but sent it to the return of my IIc+ DRX. It sounded great! Like a IIc+ JR!

Could it have just been that I needed to use my tried & true MXR EQ settings?

I then unplugged the EQ (coming from the IIb fx send) from the IIc+ DRX return, and plugged it back into the IIb's return, and again, sounded great! Not exactly like a IIc+, but very pleasing to play! Best description would be IIc+ JR

What are your settings?

What preamp board is in your IIB?

All Marks have variable honk amp-to-amp, IMO that's what differentiates the good ones from the bad ones. My IIB LM has the least honk of any Mark I've ever played.

Back