IIC+ Simul-class "brightness reduction mod" - worth it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickompositör72

Reaction score
My IIC+ DRX is my favorite amp ever. It is notable that I keep the presence knob perpetually parked at "0"

Does the mod change the character/frequency response of the presence knob? Or does it just make the amp less bright, so I will turn the presence to 2.5 (like my IIC+ HR) and get the same sound?

If it just does the latter, seems like it wouldn't be worth it to have done. I'm sending my amp in for a service, anyways, so I'm considering it.

When I send a Simul c+ or Mark III in I have Mike B. reduce the brightness. It makes the amp more vocal sounding and the Presence knob more usable.

If you're ever going to be using your amp with another guitar player who's using a Marshall or Fender, especially a Fender amp, you will regret not having some treble. Your amp will sound like it has a pillow over the speaker.

Why dull an already dark amp? Any Boogie that doesn't have a GEQ makes sounds like they're muzzled, which always baffled me as a kid. I'd hear a Boogie and say "WTF? now that amp sucks and it cost big bucks" Metal music changed that all up. To each their own.

Markedman said:
If you're ever going to be using your amp with another guitar player who's using a Marshall or Fender, especially a Fender amp, you will regret not having some treble. Your amp will sound like it has a pillow over the speaker.

Why dull an already dark amp? Any Boogie that doesn't have a GEQ makes sounds like they're muzzled, which always baffled me as a kid. I'd hear a Boogie and say "WTF? now that amp sucks and it cost big bucks" Metal music changed that all up. To each their own.

Have you ever played a non-simul iic+? They have insane amounts of brightness on tap via the presence knob. The brightness reduction mod brings that to the level of a non-simul.

I don't know what the GEQ has to do with any of this. I've played and owned GEQ Marks, and I will probably never buy one again, because I find the non-GEQ noticeably sweeter.

The sweetest c+ for leads that I own is probably my DR with the reduced brightness. The extra brightness does make the cleans more detailed. It also helps when using a 1x12 extension cab with a combo. A reduced brightness c+ can sound dull to my ears when using both of the 4 ohm jacks.

Latest posts

Back