The Beauty of Mark IV Rhythm 2 ch.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
First of all, the Mark series was built to perform live with which means played loud and the Mark IV is no different. One reason the middle channel gets a bad name is that the first and third channels are so so great. If you play at home at low volume, ch. 2 is not really all that fun when you have 1 & 3 available.

But, if you perform live, ch. 2 is where you'll live if you play classic rock & roll because it is the tone that is in 90% of the tunes. Ch. 1 & 3 don't need or want a boost pedal but ch. 2 likes to get boosted when needed and will take the boost like a champ. I have the amp set at full power, pentode, simul-class and I like to keep the channels Master volume up at around 8 and the Master volume low at around 2-3, I've never had it above 3 ever, the amp is that loud!!!

I do like channel 2. But it varies with guitar. My LP is not at its best on channel 2, channel 3 is better for it. My SG thrives on channel 2.

Gonnas def agree on my SG loving life on channel 2. I do disagree with the OP comment about boost pedals on 1 and 3. Channel 1 can do it all for me (metal aside) with a boost, and for super tight metal on 3, I love putting an 808 or OCD before it with just the level maxed and gain at 0-1. This is guitar/pickup dependent for me. It's wild how loud the IV is, but it is 85 watts. I find the Output Level needs to be above 3 for me, usually around 4-5 to get the power tube texture I like. Side note, I have been using my IV with the Captor X (attenuation off) into a Tone King Iroman (to attenuate) and I find there is very little tone suck which is enabling me to get the Output and Master both set to taste. I can then run the Captor to my FRFR or Monitors using a different cab and EQ and get a massive stereo sound, all while playing at volume that won't have the cops arrive at my house.

RHY2 with the GEQ is a great sound. On it's own or with a boost or overdrive.
It's very versatile. The clean sounds and point of breakup ....all the way up to crunch. It's not as saturated and has good dynamics. The most punch of the three channels.

If I use a overdrive it's usually from the Klon or Tube Screamer family.

Oh yea - I love R2! I use it a lot - it covers the marshall sounds really well. I keep pull fat on both this and the lead channel all the time - if there was a way to glue them, I would.

Oh, and thanks for the pic markedman. I also have a transitional IV - once in a while i have to explain it to someone. And I just now discovered I also have a spare tube holder (with no tube in it) - after owning the thing for over 12 years, still learning new things!

That combo is gorgeous! I’ve always found R2 to be very dependent on the guitar, whereas R1 and LEAD pretty much rule with whatever. Can’t stand R2 with a strat but it works a lot better with a PRS with Dimarzios…

Back