Favorite Mark IIc+ for sweet, singing, saturated (single-note) lead tone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erickompositör72

Reaction score
I just got ahold of a IIc+ HR with the 100 PT. After comparing the lead tones to a Mark III red stripe DRG, a IIb S, a IIb DRGX, and a Studio Preamp (through all of the above power amps), I am blown away. I have never played an amp that sings like this, and that can have so much variation in tone with one note. Once dialed in, it's impossible to get any single note to sound harsh/ugly. I am now a believer.

Now, the question is this: of those who have played a range of IIc+'s, which one had your favorite singing lead tone? The most inspiring tone on single notes, higher on the fretboard? The most lyrical legato? Etc...

I've heard great things about the SR and S. I've heard it said that my 100 PT is the "sweetest" transformer.

From comparing the IIb S vs DRGX, I found non-simul to have a more immediate/clear attack and bloom. I feel my IIc+ HR has this immediate attack/clarity, which makes the sweetness/warmth all the more astounding (how can this sound be so cutting/clear, yet immediately take on such warmth and roundness?!)

Anyways, curious for some input. How would an HR with the 105 PT compare? Do those with simul's notice that difference in attack I was mentioning? (FWIW, I absolutely love the "squishiness" of the simul's for chords/rhythm)

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to pick up some other variants, if they may become available.

In my experience, my Simul is smoother than my Coliseum (non-simul). Both have very powerful transformers, stronger than the 100pt. The non-simul has more attack and clarity as you mentioned...less sag. It's also creamy, and would most likely get the creaminess of the Simul with the addition of a pedal.

For whatever its worth I played through a IIC+ and was blown away by it. It was interactive; I played the amp and guitar. It was inspiring. Next time I played through it (same settings & guitar) it was nice, but not the religious experience I first had with it. The owner had swapped out the original tubes from 1984 with some new production tubes. I forgot what his old tubes were, but want to say Sylvanias. Good luck in your quest.

alanlcohen said:
For whatever its worth I played through a IIC+ and was blown away by it. It was interactive; I played the amp and guitar. It was inspiring. Next time I played through it (same settings & guitar) it was nice, but not the religious experience I first had with it. The owner had swapped out the original tubes from 1984 with some new production tubes. I forgot what his old tubes were, but want to say Sylvanias. Good luck in your quest.

I can attest to that. I run my IIc+ HR stereo through the power section of a IIb S (60 watt) with a pair of Sylvania STR-415's. My IIc+ has a quad of Svetlana SED Winged C STR 454's. Both of these sound unreal—mouth-watering. Other tubes just aren't the same.

erickompositör72 said:
Now, the question is this: of those who have played a range of IIc+'s, which one had your favorite singing lead tone? The most inspiring tone on single notes, higher on the fretboard? The most lyrical legato? Etc...

The best for this was my SR followed closely by the DR. IOW, the ones without the G. The sustain & harmonics were EPIC.

At this point I'd rather have a no-EQ & run a parametric EQ in the loop when needed. Best of both.

Latest posts

Back