Serious Mark III Issues!!! Please help!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mreeve25

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I purchased a loaded Mark III Purple Stripe today from a guy locally. It looked pretty good cosmetically. Turned it on, and sounded good, so I went with it. I must have been in a hurry because I did not see the power cord or the outlet on the back. Once I saw that, I took the chassis out to inspect what else could be wrong. First thing, a resistor or whatever it is, fell out as soon as I took the chassis out. Who knows what else is wrong then. Could I get some information based on the pictures of what else might be an issue, as well as how much it would be to get it up and going as it should? I also posted pictures of the transformers, however I do not see 105, x101, or 100 on the transformer. Is this right? I really appreciate any info given. Thanks in advance!!!

It is a fully loaded combo w/ ev 12l speaker. Am I screwed?

DSC06409.jpg

DSC06403.jpg

DSC06398.jpg

DSC06402.jpg

DSC06410.jpg

DSC06411.jpg

DSC06399.jpg

DSC06412.jpg

Depending upon what-all is going on with this amp, I don't think you're screwed. There's no doubt, though, that this has been "rode hard and put away wet" by the looks of the dirt/cigarette smoke filth inside and broken power parts. If you have the talent to replace the outlet and reassemble the strain relief on the power cord, you should be able to locate the capacitor's original location and resolder/replace. If that's not something you're comfortable with, then find a local tech to give you a professional opinion.

Personally, at that price, I'd still be happy. It can always be cleaned up and brought back to perfect condition as long as the transformers are in good shape.

*EDIT*
After further review, ignore my dirt comment. That could be due to lighting and not mean anything more than normal dust accumulation after 20+ years. If you'll post your serial number (XX out the last 2 digits) we can confirm that you have a purple stripe and answer your xformer questions. FYI, my green stripe has the same 561100.

That's definitely in the purple range.

There are other guys that know every detail of transformer history around here. I'll have to defer to them on this older model.

Regarding your loose cap...
If you look in your 6th photo down, there's another Nichicon axial cap in the bottom-left corner of the PC board. My green stripe has two of these next to each other. Look for evidence of damage to the board, tampering or bad solder joints (HIGHLY unlikely).

I'd have this professionally evaluated. Cheap insurance.

You have the same transformers as my red stripe, so its stock.

Your powertransformer is the 561100 so it´s the 100. On the 105 the numbers would end with 105.

Take it to a qualified tech and get it cleaned up and up to working condition.

I promise you´ll love it!

Called Mesa today, and Mike said around $275.00 to make it good as new. Said it could be less. Paid $550.00 for it as a fully loaded combo w/ reverb and ev 12l speaker. Is this still a solid investment? I am not looking to sell it at all, I just wanna make sure the seller did not take me for a ride.

No worries. After it comes back from Mesa you will have a amp well worth what you have in it.

I don't know what prices are like now, but a few years ago $550 would've been on the really cheap side and even with that $250 on top you'd still be breaking even with fair market value.... only you have a freshly serviced Mark III to show for it.

GD_NC said:
No worries. After it comes back from Mesa you will have a amp well worth what you have in it.
+1

Even with shipping costs this is a win/win for you. A great amp that's been completely re-certified by the factory that's 20 years old. I'd take one (more)!

Good luck!

It is officially on its way to Mesa. 3-4 week turnaround. Bummer, but I am sure it will be well worth the wait!!!

Great move to send it to Mesa. Will be like new when you get it back.

Latest posts

Back