F30 - Issue with clean & distortion channels setting

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmojal

Reaction score
Dear all,

Glad to find what looks like a deticated forum for Boogie's users !
I'm French so excuse what may be some grammar errors ! Hope I'll make myself understandable !

Well, I'm the owner of a F30 combo whom, from some time now, is giving me problems..
Little reminder, two channels : one for clean sound, the other for overdriven sound.
kyp4.jpg

fw79.jpg

Step 1.
When I power on the amp on clean mode. Everything's fine.
I set up my sound on the associated potentiometers (upper row). Everything's set up perfectly including reverb.

Step 2.
When I switch on the other channel (manually with the switch in front of the amp, or with the foot switch), everything's still fine. Now I set up my sound with the potentiometers of the bottom row. Often with a master level lower than in clean sound. This to keep on a acceptable sound volume (I live in a flat, I know..)

Step 3.
Nightmare start here when I want to go back to clean mode. I can switch to the clean channel, and the sound is clean. BUT the sound volume is very low. This because all the set up is provided by the potentiometers of overdriven sound channel.. And when I want to set up the sound (which I already set up in step 1. I'm supposed not to do this again) I realize that potentiometers of clean channel give zero answer ! Weirder : these are the potentiometers of overdriven sound that now control the sound of my clean channel...

Step 4.
When I switch back to overdriven channel, I have distortion but now the volume is way too loud (because set up for clean mode..) ! The potentiometers of overdriven channel set up the sound of this channel, so this is correct. In fact, from step 2. the potentiometers of clean channel seems to be out of orders and all control is possible from the bottom line for the two channels..

Shutting down and power back on the amp doesn't solve the problem, until a "given" time range has to be respected.

Don't know if it's a know issue.. If someone faced it or have a clue I'll be more than happy to ear from you !

Thanks a lot for your help, and have a great day.

Hugo

Have you tried changing tubes? Pop some fresh 12ax7s in V1 and V2. Google mesa f30 tube layout and it will tell you exactly which is which. Also a good idea to contact a local music store that you trust to get you some new tubes that can handle that amps voltages better... the f30 circuit runs tubes pretty hot, well at least mine does. Have a good one man, there great amps if you can find the sweet spots and understand there eq.

Sounds like a problem with the relay circuitry that switches between channels. The volume control appears to get stuck on channel two when you switch back to channel one. Contact a Mesa Boogie service tech, see if they can help you.

Latest posts

Back