Blue Angel impedance revisited?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've harassed you all over the years with my tiresome questions but here's one more for the pros:

The BA manual says to take the speaker down one jack when using only 6V6s.

Now I use the 6V6 setting exclusively and I have a 4 ohm load (currently plugged into the 4 ohm jack).

What could be done internally to make the power tubes "see" the proper load and therefore last longer?

I am sure the engineers had to make some compromise for the simul-link to happen, but what if the EL84's are removed completely? (I even considered removing the fan)

Thanks if you know?

On a final note, after extensive speaker swaps (both pairs and mismatched) I have 2 WGS Green Beret 10s that take the cake!

Great question. I went back to my manual and just as you say on page 4 towards the bottom is the line, I clearly forgot about this for the 27 years I've owned and played my Blue Angel.

For at least 90% of her life my 2X10 Blue Angel has used the 8 ohm output only.

The vast majority of her life I've used the 6V6 side only. During the first four years of her life I gigged several times a week. As I recall, I would only use the El-84 selections in simul-link (full 38 watts) when playing larger venues which was maybe only a third or quarter of the time.

For the longest time after that, I pulled a 6V6 only playing on one tube.

I had a pair of GE 6V6's (still in a drawer today) laying around in 95 when I purchased the amp, which came from an old stereo amplifier. I used those until two years ago when I purchased a matched pair of NOS 6V6-GT/G VT-107A SC278A (old US Army Signal Corps supplied) that I bought from a fellow in Virginia that is a reliable dealer of these types of items.

So I've replaced the 6V6's once in the life of the amplifier and not because they failed.

Here's the point:

1) 27 years - 8 ohm output predominantly - no 6V6 failures, most used simulink selector "6V6 only". Still on the original filter caps even though I have a full spare set of F&T's in my bench for whenever. I have used the 4 ohm out to 4X10 cabinet at times.
2) Only replaced component is a 1 watt 100 ohm resistor with a 2 watt version, which as I remember was to kill the "pop" that I was experiencing when using the bright/fat switch. The original was fried.

I hope this sheds a little light with regard to tube life when not shifting down to the 4 ohm output when using 6V6 selection. I currently use two Celestion Gold 16 ohm 2x10's in the amplifier.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back