Dual Rectifier Rev E recap question for those with tech knowledge.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenOx

Reaction score
Hello,

I just recently bought myself 1992 rev e dual rectifier, and even though it sounds awesome I decided to take it to a local technician (I live in eastern Europe and the closest official mesa boogie service center is like 1000km away) so that I'd get a good idea of the amps condition. He said that the amp has never been serviced and it would be wise to recap it. But unfortunately he did not have access to mesa branded parts, or the exactly those capacitors that mesa used. Since the amp is rare and valuable I did not want him to use non original parts.

So I contacted mesa support center and was told me that they can send me the parts but I should open the amp and tell them the values of capacitors.

After I opened the amp up I got a bit confused therefore I ask you, dear reader, do they usually change all of the capacitors when doing the "standard recap" job or only those that are electrolytic and what about those orange drop ones (are these electrolytic or ceramic)? All I know for sure is that those blue and black metal, barrel looking capacitors should definitely be changed. As you can probably tell by now I do now know anything of electronics hence your input might really help me out in my attempt to order all the correct parts for my local tech.

Thank you!

:=)

I would think it is only the larger blue ones like pictured here (this may not be Revsion E)
sIj9y6w.jpg

There is a breakdown here of the different caps in tube amps:
https://www.bustedgear.com/faq_Amp_recap.html

However, I would recommend you post over at the Gear Page as this board is very slow -- you'll get a faster response there:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php

You can also talk bak to Mesa and ask them what they advise.

Back