Mini Rectifier in the studio?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marci

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am considering buying a Mini Rectifier, what I am aiming for is the following sound, some of you might be familiar with it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8DGmV1gD4I
What my actual question is, can the Mini reproduce this character? I mean this massive saturated sound. As far as I am aware,
this recording was made with earlier Dual Rectos. I am not sure about the post studio work they used on their sound, it was recorded in 1998.
Basically the question is, can a Mini reproduce this in a studio environment?
Cheers

I have both the Mini Rectifier and full-size Modern DR 100 Watt head also.

The Mini will not sound exactly the same, but will get you reasonably in the ballpark. The Mini lacks the low end and other overall tonal qualities of the full-sized version, mainly due to the wattage differences and that it has EL-84s vs the 6L6s of the normal DR. It also doesn't have the choice between the SS vs Tube rectification switches, or the Bold/Spongy switch.

If you use the Mini, you'll need to do some EQ tweaking and will definitely need a boost pedal (TS9, Maxon 808, etc) to get you closer to the "girth" that the full size ones have. I would recommend trying one in a store first if possible before you buy one.

I would also recommend this video if you have not seen it yet - he does a comparison of both amps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5Gx7rONRU

Good luck, hope you get the sound you are after!

As an owner of both a MW Dual Rec and a Mini Rec - when going direct into a load box / IR loader like the Torpedo Captor X, Mesa Cab Clone IR, or similar units, I can get the MW and the Mini to sound nearly identical. The Mini has significantly more mids on the high gain channel; I generally keep mids at about 1 o'clock on the red channel in vintage or modern on my Dual Rec, and on the Mini I drop it to about 9 o'clock.

The Mini has some significant limitations, specifically I feel that in 25 watt mode, it's too loud for bedroom jamming and on the flipside, because of it's design with the El84s it's not loud enough to jam with a full 2 guitar metal band. For recording though at home, it's perfect. My MW dual can sit on it's speaker cabinet for when I want to fire it up, and I have my Mini rec here on my desk hooked into my Captor so I can record quick ideas when they come to me.

So yeah, I 100% love the Mini Rectifier for studio recording.

Back