Rectoverb 50 has power but no sound, is it the big capacitors?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph1597

Reaction score
I have a Rectoverb 50 that has power but does not have any sound. The sound went out on it about two weeks ago and then came back to working normal but now it does not have any sound at all. This same thing happened with a Fender deluxe reverb that I have and I had to change out it's big capacitors and that fixed the problem.

Can I change the big capacitors on a mesa boogie amp with out to much trouble? Fender makes it easy to change out those big capacitors because they have their own seperate compartment on the fender amps. How much does it cost to get the capacitors changed on a mesa boogie amp?

Could be number of things. You need to trouble shoot to try and isolate where the problem is.

1. Run a cable between the FX loop on and in to see if it's an issue with the switching jacks.

If you get output after step 1, the issue is your FX loop jacks.

2. Run the FX loop out to another amp's FX loop return to see if the preamp is working properly.

If you get output after step 2, the issue may be in your power amp

3. Run another amp's FX loop out into the FX loop return to see if the power amp is working.

If you get output after step 3, the issue may be in your preamp.

4. Check the preamp and power tubes to see if there is an issue with those.

Based on the results of steps 1,2,3, do step 4 to see if that resolves the issue.

If after doing all of that you have no sound, then it's time to take it to an amp tech to see what the issue might be.

Make sure you have a speaker connected to the speaker out through all of this to make sure there's a load on the output transformer.

AND all of the above assumes that you've tested the cables to make sure they don't have a short.

Latest posts

Back