Tremoverb Attenuation at 50w

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3jak

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help me out with some knowledge... Currently running my Tremoverb 2x12 combo in the 50w configuration: one 5u4gb, two 6L6 and then moving the lead for the 8ohm speakers to the 4ohm jack.

Here's the question: If I were to use an attenuator with half the power tubes pulled like this.... would I need a 4ohm or 8ohm attenuator? Also, can I use something like a Weber mini mass that's rated for 50w or do I still need a 100w rated??

I àm well aware of the sentiments that #1) I'm making a huge error by even running the amp in this configuration to start with, and that I should put all of the tubes back in and use it as it was designed.....Let the amp be the amp bucko... #2) That attenuators change the sound of the amp...if you want a quieter amp kid, go buy one instead etc...

I get it...but I'm just generally interested in what's the proper technical call here as far as right impedance/power in that situation?? Once my brain has posed this question, I need resolution, 🤣!?!!?

I will most likely just go with an 8ohm/100w attenuator like a Two Notes, put all tubes back in and call it a day...but now it's just really about understanding if 4ohm/50w is the right call here...or still 8ohm/100w??
Also any attenuator experience/suggestion comments appreciated... Right now I'm considering a Two Notes Torpedo or Dr. Z Air Brake.

Thanks in advance!!!

3jak said:
Hoping someone can help me out with some knowledge... Currently running my Tremoverb 2x12 combo in the 50w configuration: one 5u4gb, two 6L6 and then moving the lead for the 8ohm speakers to the 4ohm jack.

Here's the question: If I were to use an attenuator with half the power tubes pulled like this.... would I need a 4ohm or 8ohm attenuator? Also, can I use something like a Weber mini mass that's rated for 50w or do I still need a 100w rated??

I àm well aware of the sentiments that #1) I'm making a huge error by even running the amp in this configuration to start with, and that I should put all of the tubes back in and use it as it was designed.....Let the amp be the amp bucko... #2) That attenuators change the sound of the amp...if you want a quieter amp kid, go buy one instead etc...

I get it...but I'm just generally interested in what's the proper technical call here as far as right impedance/power in that situation?? Once my brain has posed this question, I need resolution, 🤣!?!!?

I will most likely just go with an 8ohm/100w attenuator like a Two Notes, put all tubes back in and call it a day...but now it's just really about understanding if 4ohm/50w is the right call here...or still 8ohm/100w??
Also any attenuator experience/suggestion comments appreciated... Right now I'm considering a Two Notes Torpedo or Dr. Z Air Brake.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mesa outlines in their manuals what is recommended AFA impedance mismatches, could be worth a review. A proper impedance match will pretty much see all of the amp power delivered to the load, mismatches will reflect power forward or back. Mesa amps are designed to tolerate a degree of "safe" mismatch.

A bit depends on the "tone" you seek and speaker choice, like they say the 4 ohm out to and 8 ohm speaker is a cooler, darker tone which I personally prefer for a bright speaker like a v30 and it also lowers the vol a bit. However my overall experience has been that adding an attenuator will change the tone and usually not for the better. I could never get my Two Notes Captor, as an atten, to not adversely effect the tone on any of my Mesas. However as a silent load it was fine. YMMV

IMHO even though one could configure a 100W amp for 50W I'm not sure I'd limit my attenuator choice to one that is only 50W and preclude the use of enabling the 100W mode with it later on. Using a 100W rated load is of course fine with a 50W output amp.

I can’t answer your impedance matching question, but I can tell you that the Fryette PS-100 sounds pretty great to me. I put my TOV through it and A/B’d it for about an hour. It took a little time to dial in the presence and depth, but once I got them matched, I couldn’t tell the difference

Latest posts

Back