Questions about the Rectoverb 25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoshiii1

Reaction score
Hello

I have the rectoverb 25 amp.

I know its voiced as a recto, but with the EL84 tubes I feel it has a sort of British amp feel. I watched a popular Youtube music channel and they talked about the Fender Blues Jr., it was mentioned that it doesnt sound like a typical Fender because of the EL84 affecting the tone.

Is this the case for the Rectoverb 25 also?

I believe it's more of a 'feel' thing than a sound thing. I have heard people record their Mini Rectifiers and, after some studio EQing, the result is not all that different from its big brother. It's still a Recto.

However, you will hear a difference in a direct A/B test when you have a big Recto to compare to. Of course that doesn't matter when there isn't one to compare to. When recording, you can just EQ it to make up for the slight difference if you want to.

But more significantly, it will feel very different to play. Its response is totally different. This different feel can also make you hear the amp very differently.
There are a lot of factors at play here, the power tubes are definitely one, as are the components used (e.g., big tranny vs little tranny), and obviously, in a combo amp, the cab dimensions and the speaker. Even the power setting can greatly change the feel of an amp - as an example, I always run my Mark V in the 90W mode because its response feels much better to me that way. It also sounds much better to me that way, but I wonder if anybody else ever notices the difference.

Latest posts

Back