Triple rec noob and Zuul question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi - I got a second hand triple rec solo 150 head a few days ago and i run only a Zuul pedal in my effects loop and use the key input.

My question is...
Do I set my Send and Mix knobs to normal or 100% for most effective way to use the Zuul? Or doesnt it matter with a noisegate because its not altering sounds per se.

I had a rehearsal yesterday but didnt have time to play around with it and the room was tiny so had to stand close to the amp, the Zuul was turned to about 3 oclock which is way higher than with my other amps. The Zuul is in normal mode, I havent flicked to extra noisy mode with the side switch.

Cheers!

Hey man - I find noise gates way more effective and easy to tune if you put them as the last thing before the input. 90+ per cent of the noise is coming from before you even hit the amp. Get the noise at the source. Try it!

Hi mate - I ended up doing what you said before I read your reply haha

I always used to run a decimator last in my chain in front of my EVH but fancied trying the Zuul out and followed the vids on youtube saying putit in the loop but even with using the key feature i didnt understand how it was going to kill the feedback at thefront of the amp.

Anyway i wanted to use a TC delay in the loop and switch it on/off using my bigfoot controller so figured id just run the Zuul in front. There is a bit of hissing but no feedback or noise in front.

Thanks for your reply!

If the amp has a FX loop mix knob, that means it is a parallel FX loop. If you are using a noise gate in the loop you should have the mix at 100%. Just note that even with the mix at 100% a small amount of signal will still bypass the loop in the parallel signal path.

Where you place your noise gate really depends on what you want from it.

If you have noisy pedals out front (OD, Distortion, etc) put the gate just before the amps input.

If you are trying to eliminate the preamp hiss of high gain settings, put it in the loop. Just remember that in the Parallel FX Loop, it’s going to be hard to make the amp dead silent as there is still some signal passing by.

A noise gate is not really a feedback eliminator, it’s really for cutting down all that ‘white noise’ hiss of high gain settings.

As far as the Send level, start at 12:00 (midway). Remember that your channel masters are the effect send levels from the individual channels so don’t run them too high or you may overload the input of what you have in the FX loop.

Most of this is covered in the amps owners manual. If you do not have one I recommend you download one from Mesa Boogie dot com.

Also, remember that tube amps ALWAYS need a speaker load on them or you will damage the amp.

Hope this helps,
Dom

I run the Zuul as well, but into my DR 3 ch. Depending on the the FX loop in your TR the Zuul’s key feature only works with a series loop. Otherwise, like me, with a parallel loop you’ll have to run in front.

maybe just do the serial loop mod. utube it or take it to a good amp tech?

Latest posts

Back