Is the "vintage" or the "modern" channel the one that's supposed to be like the SLO?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I heard about how the SLO really influenced the Recto and 5150, namely a cathode resistor value. But which channel on the Recto is the one that's supposed to be the one that borrowed too closely from the SLO?

It's not exactly new information. I heard about it over 25 years ago. Besides they don't even sound remotely the same. The sound is completely different.

So if the circuit is exactly the same why do they sound so different? Does the ‘wimpy, crappy’ power section of the Rectifier make the sound so different? Has Mesa or Randall ever commented on the heritage of the Rectifier? I mean, Randall has said that the Mark I is a hot rodded Fender, no secret there. But was the Rectifier really such a blatant copy and nothing was acknowledged?

Here is what I say is the best Rectifier tone ever. Korn mixes in a Diezel and Friedman. You know when it's the triple rec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0szpgv20Rpw

APEMAN said:
Read about it a 100 times, but never heard it directly from Mr. Soldano. He kind of did with his products what M/B completely failed - building consistently great amps over decades. Thats how you do it.

And yet, Mike Soldano is a midsize boutique maker selling five versions of the same amp to rich basement guys while you can't not see Rectos on stages and in studios all over the world.

I mean, "that's how you do it" if you and your target market stopped listening to new music as of 1988... I get it, I make old imports fast. I like my 300ZX a lot but I don't go around saying everybody should still make cars like that lol

mace said:
So if the circuit is exactly the same why do they sound so different? Does the ‘wimpy, crappy’ power section of the Rectifier make the sound so different? Has Mesa or Randall ever commented on the heritage of the Rectifier? I mean, Randall has said that the Mark I is a hot rodded Fender, no secret there. But was the Rectifier really such a blatant copy and nothing was acknowledged?

The preamps are so similar that the early 2-channel rectos are almost identical, and while there's been changes since the OD channels retain much of that heritage. The power supply and power amp are considerably different - the SLO runs about 30V higher B+, has a much larger OT (no joke, it's 2x the size of the Rev G I used to own), and has much stiffer B+ regulation in the power amp (4x220uF in series-parallel for the first filter stage + 2x220uF in series for the screens in the SLO vs 2x220uF in series for B+ and 1x30uF for the screens in a Recto). That's the main reason they sound different. That and the bypassed NFB in modern mode which makes them real loose by comparison.

Anyway OP the closest would be Red Vintage on a Rev C or D with the presence control dimed (i.e. as close to out of circuit as possible). It'll be sliiightly more midrangey because of the 680pf treble cap in the tonestack vs the 470pf in the SLO.

Back