Rectoverb 25: High gain/low output retube kit

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WytLytnyn

Reaction score
I'm a new ROV25 owner that is going to lose his hearing due an addiction to the Modern channel in this amp from use in a townhouse.

While I've been using a Boss GE-7 eq to slightly scoop the mids and cut the level below unity (within effects loop), I'm starting to look at attenuators in a serious way.

I came across Eurotubes' JJ high gain/low output retube kit that uses EL844's in place of the stock EL84'S. The description indicates that there is roughly a 25% reduction in output.

Despite searching and finding posts speaking well of Eurotubes, I cannot find any posts related directly to firsthand experience, praise, tales of woe from use of this kit in an ROV25.

Anyone have experience with this kit or cautionary wisdom around its use?

I've used the JJEl844s in the mini rectifier. They do reduce the output quite a bit but also take away the punch at the same time. I only had them in the amp for a day.

Thanks. That's exactly the kind of feedback I needed. Still wondering if I should spend the extra money on a Rivera Rock crusher or a Captor X instead...

I use a first gen rock crusher. It sounds great and is made really well unlike a lot of guitar related stuff sold today. I love simple and overbuilt old school stuff.

So is the general opinion of most out here that the better solution is to go ahead and get an attenuator versus the low output tube kit?

There is no comparison. The lower output tubes are far from neighbor friendly. Your amplifier only gets slightly quieter although it is quite noticeable. You will simply get used to it and start cranking it up again. A good attenuator really does the trick. I live in a house but in a very populated part of the city. An attenuator is really the only option for me and many of my guitar buddies who live in the city. If you want to reduce your amplifier's output, just get an attenuator.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at Rockcrushers and Two Notes. Not sure what to think of the negative feedback on the Mesa Cab Clones.

The cab clone IR is something that seems to be a better than the 1st gen cab clone. I personally have not tried the IR cab clone but I have used the cab clone. The cab clone is OK when using along with the speaker output, like a love show with a 2x12 on stage and cabclone going to FOH. But, for silent use or headphones I’m not a fan of the cabclone. It needs the active speaker to sound it’s best.

I think the cabclone IR works differently and doesn't rely on the speaker load for the resulting tone.

I decided to go with the Two Notes Captor X for the technical solution here. If it doesn't do the trick, iI'll dump it out on Reverb.

Wish me luck...

I've been using a THD Hot Plate with my Mark Five:25 with decent results. It sounds way better than turning down the Amp's channel masters. The amp's dirtry sound isn't good unless the master is above about 9:30 and that's too loud at home. I'm considering the new Mesa PowerHouse attenuator. The reactive load should be better for the amp and may sound and respond better. It's less expensive than the Captor X and has more variation in attenuation.

So after living with the Two Notes Captor X for a couple of weeks, I'm happy with the attenuation levels. It really has allowed me to appreciate the Crunch/Dirty voice of the Clean channel immensely due to being able to drive the power tubes harder with a transparent boost pedal.

I haven't scratched the surface of its recording capabilities yet....

Latest posts

Back