Tremoverb Combo to Head Conversion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruciform

Reaction score
Hey gents,

I've owned a Tremoverb combo for probably 20 years at this point. I really want to convert it over to a head version to make it easier to travel/take up less space. I called Mesa and they said they don't have a headshell available for this combo because the unit is basically upside down. So that leaves me interested in third party headshells. Mojotone has made cabs for me before and they were fantastic quality, so they're the first ones I called. They said they've not converted a Tremoverb before and if I can get the dimensions they can make it. So my question is: Anyone happen to have those dimensions? Or, alternately, has anyone done this that can point me in the direction of a company I can order from?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum.

You actually have all the dimensions except how tall you want the head-shell. Make sure you leave enough room for the reverb tank, and to be able to remove tubes without having to removing the chassis.

Technically, you’re just cutting off the bottom of your combo.

Hey hey,

It's been awhile but I wanted to give a final update on this project. Like I said previously, I called a bunch of places but no one had a version of this head shell available so I needed to track down a company that would create one for me. Luckily, a local amp manufacturer recommended Guitar Cabinets Direct whom I was not familiar with. Long story short: They were great to deal with. I went back and forth with them, exchanging CAD diagrams for weeks before finally calling it done and ordering.

It came out even better than I expected!

gxaDyMQ.jpg

Empty combo for reference:

cYFaVRD.jpg

I hope this helps out anyone else that has been thinking about having this done. I had read a few posts in the past about changing a combo to a head. but it was generally as easy as ordering one from the original manufacturer. There were a few mentions of companies that specialize in this kind of work but they were all overseas for some reason.

Cheers!

Mind giving a ballpark amount on how much it cost? I assume that now the they have the specs they can reproduce these?

Similar price to Mesa's replacement shells, I think. KC over at GCD can certainly make more. I was surprised I couldn't find anyone that had already done this for a Tremoverb. It's literally one of the heaviest (physically......and figuratively!) amps around. I think the spec sheet say like ~110 pounds lol.

Hi there from Greece!
After I saw your post I am thinking to convert also my TOV combo to shell. Is there a chance you still have the dimensions to send them to me?

Back