Roadster Squealing on Ch 3 and 4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richprice79

Reaction score
I just received a new old stock Roadster and turned on channel 1 and man it sounds good warm articulate then channel 2 on brit and gain cranked sounds great. Channel 3 has 60 cycle hum and squeals like a pig with gain less than half on modern. Raw and vintage I can go up to half but still squeals. I am assuming this is a preamp tube issue can anyone confirm before I return this?

You don't have any spare tubes to try out? I can't say for sure it is a tube problem, but that's the first place I would look.

So I thought I would follow-up. I thought the amp I ordered was new old stock turns out it was b-stock which may just be a fancy name for used or really old floor model. It looks mint and still had the tags on it so my mistake.

I opened up my mark v 25 and stole 5 of the 6 pre amp tubes and swapped out 5 of them v2 through v6 and it still squealed like crazy. I started to think I got a lemon and put all of the original tubes back in it but in a random order. I decided to take a chance anyways because the amp looks so mint and ordered a complete set of JJ high gain from eurotubes but they wont be here for a week.

The thought of spending 1200 bucks on a lemon was eating at me so I decided to see if I had any other tubes laying around. I found a little baggy with 1 JJ, 1 chinese tube and 1 Gold Pin Electro harmonix tube from years ago. I took the head out of the chassis and set it on top of my 4x12. I first tried the Gold pin in V1, no luck. I then moved it to v2, no luck, then v3....no luck. I started thinking maybe its 2 bad tubes so I added the chinese tube to v2....no luck. I had one last shot so I tried the JJ in v3 and BAM! It now sounds awesome and I can use all of the gain (not that I would) without squealing.

I noticed the year signed inside in from 2010 and I can only assume these are the original tubes from 2010. I think I will go ahead and just put the complete new JJ set in when they arrive for piece of mind.

Well its back. It went away for a day or 2 and then it kind of cut out and back on and the whining is back bast half gain. I got my new tubes in and completely re-tubed the amp with no difference. Now I am not sure what to do.

You don't have any Russian preamp tubes in the cathode follower positions do you? I believe they are V3 and V5. Other than that I would suggest contacting Mesa and asking them.

Just wondering if anyone has figured out what the fix is for your Roadster squealing. I am having the same problem. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Winston Wolf said:
Just wondering if anyone has figured out what the fix is for your Roadster squealing. I am having the same problem. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Howdy.

Check that you don’t have Russian tubes in v3 and v5.. Chinese and JJ should be fine.

Other than that basic: other tubes, setting too much gain and treble, guitar (pickups), cables, other utensils between guitar and amp, stuff in fx loop.. :p

Latest posts

Back