3 Channel Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier Users - Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverwulf

Reaction score
NOTE: Please use this thread to post info in order to keep the handbook thread as clean as possible.

So for all those 3 channel Mesa Dual and Triple Rectifier users out there, I have a question for you...

What's the version on your circuit board, and what serial number do you have?

You're welcome to omit the last digit by using an X if you're not comfortable giving it all out, though I promise magical amp fairies will not storm your house and take your amp by listing your serial number... :mrgreen:

The board will likely say "Mesa 3 Rec" indicating it's a 3 channel Recto, but the board version will follow, with "copywrite 2000" after. Could be C, C+, etc. Those around for a while are probably aware I've owned 150+ 2 channels and done extensive A/B and research on them. Well, it's time to delve into the 3 channel models now! I won't go as in-depth as I did with the 2 channels (which took years), but I still want to get some insight.

If you purchased it new, I'd also like to know - what tubes did it come with stock (if you know)? Thanks!

Forgot to note - I'm only asking about the original 3 channel models from 2000 - 2010 or so, NOT the Multi-Watt at this time. Thanks!

Here is the board revision from a 3 channel Triple Rectifier in the 22400-ish range (don't recall the exact at the moment). It's Rev C+, as you'll note from the board: "Mesa 3 Rec" for a 3 channel Rectifier, followed up by the revision, which is C+. The text afterword is just the copyright for 2000. Pic below:

I've tracked down an earlier one for comparison in the 16700-ish range. Based on what I've seen, this one should have a Rev C board (no +). Its purchased and shipping soon. I'll be curious to A/B and start doing comparisons. Obviously something changed.

I'll post findings in another thread to keep it clean with info. I'll use this thread for folks that wish to contribute to give info on their respective amp for research purposes. Thanks!

I don't how far in the timeline this was done but with my (2nd) 2008 3ch Dual Recto, both gain pots measured at 100k instead of the aforementioned 250k, even with EMG 81's I had to max the gain at low volumes and ran it around 4:00 at band levels.

I remember another forum member R_ADKINS80's 3ch Triple also had 100k pots, it was either from same year as mine or 2006.
Mine came stock with the 440's, I didn't have the older one for long, most likely had the 430's in them.

When I played my first 3ch Recto back in 2002, it didn't sound like the one mentioned above, and I had the gain around 1:00 and it was enough.
I ran my 2ch Triple with the gain the same way, so this could be one of the main differences between early 3 channels and later ones (pre multiwatt)

I lost all of my pics in an HDD crash so I'm going off my experience with all 3 amps.

Another interesting thing on the 3 channel PCB is the one vacant preamp power supply filter 10uF cap place (for instance, check the picture below, on the left side). Would be interesting to find if it was used for some 3 channel revisions.

mesa_dualrectifier.jpg

I firmly believe one key difference in the feel and tone between the 2 channel Rectifiers and 3 channel models is in the power supply filtering. 2 Channel heads use 30uF Sprague Atom filter caps for all the preamp supply nodes while (to my knowledge all) 3 channel models started to use 10uf caps in parallel to add up intended values (except for one 30uF Sprague which is still used for the screens supply node). Mesa also reduced the first two preamp supply nodes to 20uF. I've higher capacitance in the preamp supply filtering generally makes for bolder and less compressed tone. This could be one reason for the increased fizz/brightness

I just got a 3 channel triple rec serial number is 27xxx, just looked at pics I took and it is a rev c+ and the board doesn't have a spot for that cap anymore.

I'll update with full serial number when I can.

Awesome info all around here! Confirmed that Rev C+ ran at least from the 22000 - 27000 (ish) range. I would assume much longer, but we'll see. Interesting stuff!

Not gonna be able to pull the chassis for quite awhile, but serial is 43353. Boogie told me it was a 2007 model.

timv said:
I just got a 3 channel triple rec serial number is 27xxx, just looked at pics I took and it is a rev c+ and the board doesn't have a spot for that cap anymore.

I'll update with full serial number when I can.

Same here as well. My Rev C+ in the early 22k serial range...that cap isn't on the board schematic. I think I just saw a board of a 3 channel from 2004-2005, and it appeared to be Rev E. If that's the case, it would imply that D exists as well and would be a strong assumption that from 2000-2004/2005, there were at least:

Rev C
Rev C+
Rev D
Rev E

Waiting on better pics to confirm. The plot starts to thicken!

I'm at work currently, i'll pop my chassis tonight as I have a 3 channel with a serial I think in the 26-28k range. I'll take pictures and find the rev code. I don't know anything about caps or filters or anything, but i'll take a picture for the more knowledgeable peeps!

deeman said:
I'm at work currently, i'll pop my chassis tonight as I have a 3 channel with a serial I think in the 26-28k range. I'll take pictures and find the rev code. I don't know anything about caps or filters or anything, but i'll take a picture for the more knowledgeable peeps!

That would be great. My presumed Rev C (Serial # 16774) arrives on Friday, pending no shipping delays. I'll have time to take pics and document both it and the Rev C+ this weekend.

The owner of the alleged Rev E has also volunteered to take pics this week. I'm not sure of his serial yet, but the early pics of his had caps dated to 2004.

My amp in 40k range is Rev E. Pots are within spec for their values on the schematic. Looks pretty much like what's on paper.

afu said:
My amp in 40k range is Rev E. Pots are within spec for their values on the schematic. Looks pretty much like what's on paper.

Thanks afu! The owner of the 37k-ish serial also confirmed his is Rev E. I've got some more data as well, will update the Handbook some more this weekend.

So, somewhere within the 27000 - 37000 serial number range, they transitioned from Rev C+, to (presumably Rev D), then to Rev E.

Ok, Silverwulf, the serial for my 3 channel Dual Rec is 21688. My guess was a little high! I thought it was in the 26-28 range.
I bought it used at Sam Ash in Villa Park IL in November 2006 so i don't know the original tubes.
I emailed Mesa a while ago and they told me the amp was made May 29, 2001.
We can narrow a few things down to pre-22,000 at least.

Transformers 562105/561160.
Rev: C+
TM symbol under the model name.
Loop Active is present.
For FX Loop, the "Loop Bypass Defeats Output & Solo Controls" script is between send and return.

Here are some pictures for reference. Let me know if any additional info would be helpful. Thanks man.

IMG_20160906_1947554411_zpsqlmsebmr.jpg

IMG_20160906_1948124281_zps1zae2pmp.jpg

IMG_20160906_1949014071_zpsajlbrlfh.jpg

IMG_20160906_194911356_HDR1_zps0efrvrij.jpg

IMG_20160906_194922608_HDR1_zpsdat86eq3.jpg

IMG_20160906_1959323581_zpsmuo09v6r.jpg

IMG_20160906_200013990_TOP1_zps68zlvidb.jpg

IMG_20160906_200026611_TOP1_zps71j9764o.jpg

This is perfect. Thanks deeman! Very similar to my current Rev C+ as well. The lower serial number makes much more sense. Great info all around. Another update coming this weekend. Stay tuned!

Nice. I'm starting to see yet another revision hype coming up... :lol:

BTW, it would be nice if (detailed) photographs were taken of each PCB revisions and uploaded here so most of the differences could be deduced by comparison.

New to the Forum, First post!
Saw this thread and thought I'd add what I have.

Dual Recto
Bought it off eBay, guy says he thinks it was around 2003 when he bought it new. 32xxx
I haven't opened it up but after reading this thread and a few others when i get a chance I will and take some pics.
It has some Mesa tubes in it and I have some extras he sent with it.
I thought it was pretty cool the guy sent the manual with all the tags taped in it.

Welcome LouE! If you get a chance to open it up and check out the revision, that would be great. What you have is still in the grey area right now. The latest confirmed Rev C+ is in the 27,000 range, and the earliest confirmed Rev E is around 37,000. So, there should be a Rev D in that span. Your 32,000-ish amp could either narrow the range for us, or could be the first confirmed Rev D.

Shemham said:
Nice. I'm starting to see yet another revision hype coming up... :lol:

BTW, it would be nice if (detailed) photographs were taken of each PCB revisions and uploaded here so most of the differences could be deduced by comparison.

I have info and detailed photos for Rev C and Rev C+ now. I have a buddy that has what I assume is a Rev E. I'm going to ask to borrow it to dissect and document this week. Lots of stuff to update, but I'm waiting until I get some more stuff documented first.

Back