EH6CA7VH has anyone tried this tube yet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't been on this forum for a while, so sorry for the delayed response. I've never heard of this EH tube with the VH suffix. But, I have used EH's 6CA7s for years and love them. I've wanted to try the JJ 6CA7s, but have never heard much good about them. The EH tubes are definitely EL34 sounding as far as the mids go, but there is a little extra bottom end that I've enjoyed.

This is really late response. Been away for some time.
As for the EHx 6CA7 in the Rectifier, never tried it. I have run a quad of them in the TC100. Well ****, my TC100 sounds just like the Badlander 100. Give or take some gain as they are different preamp sections. Note that the TC and Badlander are more focused on the EL34 more so than 6L6.

My take on EL34 variants, you may need to run spongy mode or tube rectification due to plate voltages to keep the screen voltage within tolerable limits. Most amps specifically meant for the 6L6 GC tubes will have a relatively high plate voltage compared to amps specifically focused for EL34 as primary choice. It has something to do with the screen circuitry. Most EL34 focused amps will have some sort of screen clamping diodes, even though they can run with 6L6 tubes, you generally notice a drop in power performance. 6L6 based amps will not have any screen clamping or limiting circuits so they tend to fail or have short lifespan unless you have a means to drop plate voltage like Spongy or variac modes, tube rectification. etc. One thing to note that the Gold Lion KT77 EL34 variant will take some of this abuse. Ran a quad for over 8 months in a Mark V at full power (before I learned not to do so). I have tried JJ 6CA7 and they failed in less than a week in the Mark V and that amp runs a lower plate voltage than the Dual Rec.

Latest posts

Back