Orange launches valve/tube tester

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw this on the NAMM footage. It looks pretty interesting. I'm curious how the number's system relate to Mesa branded tubes. I would assume that they would all be around the same values for the most part. I was looking around for a price last week didn't see anything posted yet. I'm curious how much they would charge for this gadget.

I think they said $500 USD. Im waiting to see real reviews about it before I drop that $$$ on a tester. Personally, I would have preferred they come out with the Divo OV for all power tubes, not just the Octals....then a tester.

Addictedtokaos said:
I think they said $500 USD.

$499 at Sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=CM3qxL7E3rwCFUVlfgodDjYACw

The wallwart that powers it puts out 19 volts. I wonder how good the power tube tests can be since power tubes run at around 425 volts.

1600-VT1000_detail9.jpg

DangerMoney said:
Addictedtokaos said:
I think they said $500 USD.

$499 at Sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...g&matchtype=&gclid=CM3qxL7E3rwCFUVlfgodDjYACw

The wallwart that powers it puts out 19 volts. I wonder how good the power tube tests can be since power tubes run at around 425 volts.

1600-VT1000_detail9.jpg

And yet, here we are on this board where amplifiers running 4 power tubes needing 425 volts each plug into a wall socket that is only 110 volts?

It's either automatical or magics!!!! :lol:

Just kidding, I totally see your point. Even if they put some beefy capacitors in there (it's too small) I don't know how they will be able to get a power tube up to operating specs and keep it there long enough for a valid measurement.

Then again, I am not really all that smart. :(

In that same price range or maybe a bit less, one could hunt down a Hickok tube tester.

Much more tedious to use but still considered the standard by most tube weirdos.

In the end, markedman is correct. Plug it in and listen.

I got around to buying one of the VT1000. It seems to work and I have run through my box of preamp tubes and power tubes. It is not difficult to generate high voltage from a DC supply. A switching step up converter can get a high enough voltage to run the test. However I believe the device works more on the heater and emissions of the cathode. I have used it to find matched triodes in preamp tubes, as well as to see how matched the power tubes are. Found a few bad tubes to test and so far I did not see any false good tubes. It is what it is. Perhaps a toy compared to the units that cost a few grand. The good thing, I have found some weak tubes that came stock in a few of my amps, replaced them with tested tubes that rated better and the quality of sound improved considerably. Also had found some of my power tubes I had used and for some reason holding on too for replacement in an pinch rated quite poorly and recommended to be replaced. If you only have one or two tube amps, this is not needed as you can just plug and listen. Since I have nine tube amps currently (JP-2C, MWDR, Roadster, TC-50, TC-100, RA100 head, RA100 combo, Mark V, Cali tweed) it makes more sense to manage what tubes I have on hand and what is in the amps. You still need to listen to the amp after tube replacement but so far I am happy with this thing even if it is a toy.

My tube tester of choice is the B&K Dyna-Jet 707. It's one of the few tube testers that tests pretty nearly every tube ever made and has true dynamic transconductance testing. It can be used for gain matching tubes, which I've found to yield the same results as any other tube matching method.

A 707 will run you less than any new production tube tester/tube matcher on the market.

Back