Mills Acoustics Afterburner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurso

Reaction score
So I just unpacked my brandy new Mills 4x12 today, hooked my Roadster up with my PRS and went to work. One word: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

I've never heard any Recto, let alone my Roadster sound like this. To describe the sound and characteristics is to talk in paradox.... its tight yet very 3 dimensional, broad yet articulate. There is no amount of bass you can dial in thats too much. I've turned the bass up on channel 4 modern all the way up and things stayed tight and clear.... I've never heard any cab including Mesa, VHT, Diezel or Bogner have this ability. It really makes you rethink how to sculpt your tone with a Recto as there is huge potential in that bass control thats you cant tap into with other cabs. For example i used to never run my bass past 1 because going past that would mean a loss in clarity, a dulling effect in the highs and an overall unmusical tone. Now i'm running my bass at 3, mids at 12 and treble at 3 in channel 4 modern and my god the tone. Driving the bass that high in the Mills creates this awesome low end that is round and tight, its almost felt more than you hear it. I dont know if anyone has ever played with a guitar sub like the ISP Vector, but the effect this cab has is similar... no it doesnt reach those 15hz tones but it does have the feel and tonal characteristcs of having a guitar sub with your regular cabinet. I'm driving the treble that high to get the right attack for chugging, but i've found these settings work equally as well for leads if i roll back the tone knob on my guitar. So in the end its almost like the traditional V scoop but recentered so you still get some solid mids, and not the tin can sound. The best way i can describe the tone i'm getting out of this channel is similar to ENGL like gain with Bogner type bass but all with the Recto character. Honestly best high gain tone I've ever found in any amp/cab/guitar combination. BTW, gain is at 12, presence at 9, master at 9 and output at 9:30 with the OCD infront with volume maxed, gain off and tone at 12.

Ok if i left my post with just that the Mills would sound like a one trick pony.... the cleans through this amp kill. I never liked channel 1 tweed through my other cabs because i always felt the Bass was overwhelming and would take over, especially when i would use my neck pup. Not only have i dialed in my best high gain tone, but now also the best clean tone. I'm running channel 1 tweed, volume at 10:30, gain at 9:30, treble at 1, bass at 1:30, mids at 11 and presence at 11.... this clean kills all. Very fender like through this cabinet... the cab is very 3D sounding and with just the right reverb from the Axe-fx it sounds like I have an open back. On channel 2 fat with an OD i gte these sweet floydian lead like tones... the cab has so much depth you can actually feel the notes coming out. Man thats the sweetest moment in playing any instrument... when you feel the notes, almost like when you hit a baseball or golfball the right way and it just feels like rubber. Channel 3 I'm not entirely decided on as far as if i want to use it to clone what i have in channel 4 but with a more crunchy type tone or go for a more metallica like tone using the vintage mode.... one thing is for sure, today has forced me to rethink what tones i want and how the amp/cab can create them.

BTW, I am in no way knocking Mesa, VHT, diezel or Bogner cabs. I just have never heard a cab like this Mills cab especially with the amount of low end it can handle. For me this is the perfect fit, and I'm sure for someone else it may not be the right fit. So if anyone is looking for a cab that can take as much bass as you can feed it, take a hard look into Mills Acoustics. Remember the tone isn't really in the speakers (for those that dislike v30s) its in the design, especially the interior ported baffle that kills the standing waves (think secret sauce :wink: ).

Also, I just want to thank Mike (Fixxer6671) for pointing me in the right direction.

Griz said:
jdurso, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you're pretty happy with that Mills Cab. :lol:

Griz you have no idea... its almost like i had a paradigm shift in the way i use the Roadster. I played my fingers raw today and I'm loving it.

I've had a good two weeks with my gear... between this cab and finding my perfect NOS preamp tube config, I'm finding new inspiration, new tones and am playing at least twice as much as usual.

Sounds pretty cool form your description. Out of curiosity, specifically which other cabs have you played your Roadster with at a decent volume? Which models and what sizes, with which speakers? I ask cause I'm looking into cabs now...

Thanks!

jdurso said:
Griz said:
jdurso, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you're pretty happy with that Mills Cab. :lol:

Griz you have no idea... its almost like i had a paradigm shift in the way i use the Roadster. I played my fingers raw today and I'm loving it.

I've had a good two weeks with my gear... between this cab and finding my perfect NOS preamp tube config, I'm finding new inspiration, new tones and am playing at least twice as much as usual.

If it makes you play more then it's a good, good thang. For guitar amps, speakers are like microphones are to a studio, they can make all the difference in the world.

When someone describes the tone as 3D sounding what do you mean by that ? Sorry if its a stupid question but I cant visualize or hear it in my head I guess. I did check out the cabs on the website and read some reviews. Sounds like its the end all be all of cabs. Who knows, diezel just came out with a new cab and on rig-talk they keep saying how theirs is the best they have ever heard I hope they at least tried the mills.

katsumura78 said:
When someone describes the tone as 3D sounding what do you mean by that ? Sorry if its a stupid question but I cant visualize or hear it in my head I guess. I did check out the cabs on the website and read some reviews. Sounds like its the end all be all of cabs. Who knows, diezel just came out with a new cab and on rig-talk they keep saying how theirs is the best they have ever heard I hope they at least tried the mills.

An open back cab, especially when put in front of the right wall, projects a very wide, 3D type sound. A closed back cab in general tends to sound very directional, and doesnt spread the sound as much. When I describe a cab as sounding 3D, I mean the way it projects sound is more of in an open back cab type manner, where the sound is project all around the cab instead of just directly in front.

TheMagicEight said:
Sounds pretty cool form your description. Out of curiosity, specifically which other cabs have you played your Roadster with at a decent volume? Which models and what sizes, with which speakers? I ask cause I'm looking into cabs now...

Thanks!

With the Roadster I've used a Mesa 4x12 Halfback with C90s and Eminence 50s, a Diezel 4x12 NYC with v30s, a Basson 2x12 with eminence legends and a Roadtser 2x12 with v30s. I've also had in the past a Mesa Recto Standard and Tradional 4x12s, as well as a few Marshall cabs (used those cabs with a TR, Tremoverb and a Triaxis rig). I've also tried my Roadster with a VHT FB 4x12, VHT Deliverence 4x12, an Uber cab with the X pattern, a Freda Live 2x12 and a Port City Wave 2x12 OS.

The Mills cab is the best out of all those cabs in my experience. VHT and Mesa both make incredible cabs but in terms of getting the perfect low end, no one touches Mills' design. The afterburner internal baffle makes the world of difference. If you shopping for cabs tyr and go to as many shops a spossible and dont be afraid to ask the saleman to help you out by letting you demo different cabs with the same head. Thats the only way of knowing which cab is right. It takes a while and can be annoying for them but if your serious about buying and you let them know it they should be fine with it.

Guys,

I don't have the patience to write as much as Jon does, and I can tell you this, "buying the mills acoustics cabinets was the best thing I ever did for my amps".

I don't hype allot of stuff. I stand by this quote, and can't say enough how this has made my Recto's (all of them) sound bigger than they already are. They make the competition sound like toys.

I know its a leap of faith trying sight unseen, but I am telling yah, you will not be disappointed.

try one out, your neighbors and recto will thank you! :twisted:

TheMagicEight said:

Thanks!

I have owned and used: :lol:

Marshall cabs with green backs (all kinds)
Divided by 13 4x12 with green backs
Bogner 4x12 with V30's
Bogner slant with GH12 30's and V 30's in X pattern
Bogner OS 2x12 with V30
Bogner OS 2x12 open with V 30
Bogner OS 2x12 with V30 and G12h30
VHT front loaded; whatever comes stock
Avatar 2x12 (bogner wanna be copy) with their V30's (worst of the bunch)
Avatar 4x12 with their V30's (worst of the bunch)
Mesa 2x12 vertical with V30's
Mesa 2x12 open back with black shadows
Mesa 4x12 over sized with V30's
Port City 2x12 with V30's
Metropolous 4x12 with Heritage G12H 30's

The bogners are my favorite out of that bunch. If I never went Mills, I'd still own the bogners.

I also own the 2x12...... If you like the 4x12, the 2x12 is a beast as well.

I see other cabinet makers trying to copy Mills, coming out with Models as the "beast" tc. Accept no substitute. If you have a Mesa you owe it to yourself to try this. It will save you i the long run. Learn from JD's and my testing. :lol:

I'll believe it when I hear it. Right now, I've got a Recto 4x12 and an Avatar 2x12. The Avatar is pretty good; nothing special, but for my needs it does what it's supposed to very, very well. The Recto, on the other hand, has provided me with a tone through my TR I only thought possible on a recording with tens of thousands of dollars in mics, preamps, etc. My point is my ears have heard nothing that touches my setup as of yet, but the way you guys are raving, now I'm curious!

I guess the reason I'd be skeptical is because I bought my Basson after hearing and seeing literally NOTHING except rave reviews. I never would have bought that had I heard it first, but I guess that just reinforces your point of hear something before you buy it.

Anyway, congrats on the sweet tone! Get a recording so I know what you're talking about!

jdurso said:
katsumura78 said:

An open back cab, especially when put in front of the right wall, projects a very wide, 3D type sound. A closed back cab in general tends to sound very directional, and doesnt spread the sound as much. When I describe a cab as sounding 3D, I mean the way it projects sound is more of in an open back cab type manner, where the sound is project all around the cab instead of just directly in front.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I gotta try this cab out somehow. Thanks.

TheMagicEight said:
I'll believe it when I hear it. Right now, I've got a Recto 4x12 and an Avatar 2x12. The Avatar is pretty good; nothing special, but for my needs it does what it's supposed to very, very well. The Recto, on the other hand, has provided me with a tone through my TR I only thought possible on a recording with tens of thousands of dollars in mics, preamps, etc. My point is my ears have heard nothing that touches my setup as of yet, but the way you guys are raving, now I'm curious!

I guess the reason I'd be skeptical is because I bought my Basson after hearing and seeing literally NOTHING except rave reviews. I never would have bought that had I heard it first, but I guess that just reinforces your point of hear something before you buy it.

Anyway, congrats on the sweet tone! Get a recording so I know what you're talking about!

Oh i hear you on the play before buy. I'm usually the same way but Mike and all the clips I've heard were enough to convince me. BTW if you want clips check these out... http://www.netmusicians.org/?section=cab&value=Mills%20Acoustics%20412B. Eric covers a lot of ground which is cool to show its not just a one trick pony.

As for reviews, I take them with a grain of salt because you never know what the reviewer is going for in their style, genre of music and in context to what amp/guitar/pedals they're using. I never write my reviews to try and sway someone one way or the other, because I have never met anyone with my style, hence whats good for me may not be good for you. I will say however, in general I have never heard a cab handle a recto so well, especially their low end which can be really flubby in ther cabs. If you ever see one pop up in a local classified or find a store that has one be sure to take the time to plug into one... you'll be doing yourself a huge favor. :wink:

BTW, I've had a few conversations with Dave Mills since Friday when I got the cab. He is a true class act and really takes the time out to get to know his customers. When I mentioned I was using it with a Roadster, he explained to me that he had the rectifier in mind when building/testing the cab and in his words, "we wanted massive rectifier "thump" but with clarity and power". He definitely achieved that goal in spades. My buddy who owns an Uberschall brought it over today and we fired it up through the Mills and my god... i think we peeled the paint off my walls. The Ubers low end is a thing of wonder and through the Mills it was even better than through his Uber cab. I'm trying to get more friends to come over with their amps to see what different amps sound like through this beast (among the amps they own are a VHT CL, VHT UL, Marshall JCM800, Peavey 5150II, 2 Channel Triple Recto and very soon an ENGL Powerball).

jdurso said:
BTW, I've had a few conversations with Dave Mills since Friday when I got the cab. He is a true class act and really takes the time out to get to know his customers. When I mentioned I was using it with a Roadster, he explained to me that he had the rectifier in mind when building/testing the cab and in his words, "we wanted massive rectifier "thump" but with clarity and power". He definitely achieved that goal in spades. My buddy who owns an Uberschall brought it over today and we fired it up through the Mills and my god... i think we peeled the paint off my walls. The Ubers low end is a thing of wonder and through the Mills it was even better than through his Uber cab. I'm trying to get more friends to come over with their amps to see what different amps sound like through this beast (among the amps they own are a VHT CL, VHT UL, Marshall JCM800, Peavey 5150II, 2 Channel Triple Recto and very soon an ENGL Powerball).

Try one with a Bogner XTC, and a 4 hole plexi through a good attenuator...

You will be amazed.... :lol:

colemaneuclid said:
I've been meaning to check one of these out for quite some time now.

I know where my tax return money is going now... haha!

Nows probably the best time too because factory direct new is as or more affordible than some of the best cabs out there.

I noticed neither of you guys have had Thiele's in the past. I wonder how the Mills would compare to one of those.

ketiov said:
I noticed neither of you guys have had Thiele's in the past. I wonder how the Mills would compare to one of those.

I've played one in the past with a Mark III and I thought it was a mighty sound coming out of that tiny box. But to compare the two wouldnt be fair... at least not in my eyes.

jdurso said:
....I'm trying to get more friends to come over with their amps to see what different amps sound like through this beast (among the amps they own are a VHT CL, VHT UL, Marshall JCM800, Peavey 5150II, 2 Channel Triple Recto and very soon an ENGL Powerball).

CLIPS MAN! CLIPS!!! :D :lol:

So far the only cabs that impressed me with my Recto are the two that I own (see sig). These Mills cabs have got my attention for sure!

Back