Triaxis and GSP1101 noise problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booyah

Reaction score
I need help getting rid of some bad noise I'm getting with my new setup. I added a GSP1101 to my Triaxis because it gives me pre and post gain effects. Mostly I like it because I can use reverbs, chorus and delay post preamp and also have compression for cleans, overdive, wah and pitch/detune before the Triaxis. Everything was ok until I bought a new SSS Strat with fat 50s last week and I can't get rid of the hissing and hum, its noisy with any amount of gain, with or without compression. The strat is brand new, I've tried different cables too. I notice that the noise dissipates a lot when I'm in position 2 and 4. In position 1, 3 and 5 the noises are almost as loud as the notes I'm hitting, definitely unusable. I've played with the noise gate, I even hooked up a Boss NS2 between my guitar and the GSP as a 2nd gate but the noise problem persists. It's fairly quiet when I'm not playing. I've tried ground lifting the Triaxis and GSP, tried Triaxis loops send and regular output, tried +4/-10 and about every level combination imaginable. I think my Triaxis just hates this unit in front of it. I had heard somewhere about cutting the ground off of cables in my chain but before I go hacking up my gear I wanted to see what the gurus on this forum had to say. I won't part with my Triaxis, am open to buying 2 different rack mount effects units and selling the GSP if there is one out there that my Triaxis can get along with in front of it.

My setup is this: Guitar into GSP1101 front input, GSP1101 loop send into Triaxis input, Triaxis main output into GSP1101 loop return (mono), GSP1101 line out (mono) into Mesa Boogie 20/20 then out to a Carvin Legacy 2x12 cab with V30s. All gear is plugged into a Pyle power conditioner in the same rack and I keep the power cables away from line cables or they cross paths but never run parallel.

Thanks for any advice or possible solutions anyone can offer!

Everything was ok until I bought a new SSS Strat with fat 50s last week and I can't get rid of the hissing and hum
I assume you had another guitar that was quiet with this exact set up?

Yes a 79 Washburn Eagle with humbuckers (does have split coils and I use them but never really noticed problems)

Single coils are noisy!
I run the exact same setup, gsp1101 and triaxis. I bought a G&L Legacy and couldn't stand how noisy it was. My solution was changing out the single coils for Bill Laurence noiseless pickups. That fixed it.

Thanks for the responses gang, the problem isn't with the single coils. I'm well aware of how noisy single coils are, this is a hum that shouldn't be there. I'm still working on the problem but got some ideas on another forum that I'm going to try out. Peace.

Could it be a ground loop? Does either the GSP or Triaxis have a ground-lift switch? If so lift one of the grounds.

I run a 1101 with the four cable method with a dual rec. I had a lot of hum. The solution was to cut the grounds off of both of the cables that run to and from my effects loop. I know this has been discussed quite a bit with the 4cm but have you tried that?

Back