Pre-orders now available!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
For my band's debut CD on Facedown Records! Pretty stoked to announce that today is the beginning of pre-orders for our cd that is coming out January 10, 2010!
l_da45bef2b8634b909fef6d90275d29c9.gif

Here is a link if anyone is interested:
http://facedown.merchnow.com/search/?q=onward+to+olympas

Rock on!

-AJH

I really dig the style so it's kind of a no brainer. Shifting gears for a minute, how do you like the 5150 with your rec? I was thinking about getting a used 5150 to go with mine. Or a Splawn QR. The 5150 certainly has a price advantage, but I've never played a QR. You have any thoughts?

I'll let you know after tonight. We haven't had a show in the passed week since I bought it and tonight's show will be the first time that I get to run both heads together. Alone, the 5150 II is a beast, and I'm anxious to hear what it adds to the Recto sound. I did play with 2 bands two weeks ago that each played with a 5150 II and a Dual Rec ( I thought it was good sign). Each guitarist had one head. It sounded really good together, so I imagine having them run in unison will be pretty sweet. The 5150 kinda reminds me of my other guitarist's Bogner Uberschall, just with a 6L6 voicing instead of EL-34 tone, and it's a little bit brighter. It has a HUGE amount of gain, and a ton of bottom end thump. It also gets VERY loud, due to it being a non master volume head...i got to spend some time with it at home alone last weekend, cranking it to....4.....which seemed to be about concert level on both channels :shock: . Sounds good once you let it breathe. The cleans are kind of sucky, I would guess like the early dual recs. I've heard Splawn's cleans on video, and they sound pretty good from what I've heard/read in reviews. Splawns are the same way as far as the volume goes, they go from faint noise to LOUD in a fraction of a turn. They have a more unique voice, that is marshallesque, but with more "bite" if that makes sense. A more focused aggression than the JCM 800 or 900 don't have in them unless they are modded. I've talked to Scott Splawn, and would like to get one of their heads one day (i've been offered an artist deal) but I just couldn't swing the money at the moment for the new head, or wait for 3 months for it to be built, since we are going on tour in January. So I bought a used 5150 II that happened to belong to a friend of mine at a local Guitar Center. Got a pretty good deal on it (walked out of the store $30 less than the sticker price that was on the amp, even with tax) and he said it's been super reliable. With a possible 200+ shows coming up in 2010, I wanted to have a backup head just in case the triple had a problem. I bought the 5150 II version because it has the separate EQ for the rhythm channel, which is also footswitchable between clean and crunch, giving it a little more flexibility than the original 5150 (although, I've heard the 5150 is more aggressively voiced than the II). They, along with the 6505/+ (exact same head, just renamed) seem to be a staple in this genre as well.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
I'll let you know after tonight. We haven't had a show in the passed week since I bought it and tonight's show will be the first time that I get to run both heads together. Alone, the 5150 II is a beast, and I'm anxious to hear what it adds to the Recto sound. I did play with 2 bands two weeks ago that each played with a 5150 II and a Dual Rec ( I thought it was good sign). Each guitarist had one head. It sounded really good together, so I imagine having them run in unison will be pretty sweet. The 5150 kinda reminds me of my other guitarist's Bogner Uberschall, just with a 6L6 voicing instead of EL-34 tone, and it's a little bit brighter. It has a HUGE amount of gain, and a ton of bottom end thump. It also gets VERY loud, due to it being a non master volume head...i got to spend some time with it at home alone last weekend, cranking it to....4.....which seemed to be about concert level on both channels :shock: . Sounds good once you let it breathe. The cleans are kind of sucky, I would guess like the early dual recs. I've heard Splawn's cleans on video, and they sound pretty good from what I've heard/read in reviews. Splawns are the same way as far as the volume goes, they go from faint noise to LOUD in a fraction of a turn. They have a more unique voice, that is marshallesque, but with more "bite" if that makes sense. A more focused aggression than the JCM 800 or 900 don't have in them unless they are modded. I've talked to Scott Splawn, and would like to get one of their heads one day (i've been offered an artist deal) but I just couldn't swing the money at the moment for the new head, or wait for 3 months for it to be built, since we are going on tour in January. So I bought a used 5150 II that happened to belong to a friend of mine at a local Guitar Center. Got a pretty good deal on it (walked out of the store $30 less than the sticker price that was on the amp, even with tax) and he said it's been super reliable. With a possible 200+ shows coming up in 2010, I wanted to have a backup head just in case the triple had a problem. I bought the 5150 II version because it has the separate EQ for the rhythm channel, which is also footswitchable between clean and crunch, giving it a little more flexibility than the original 5150 (although, I've heard the 5150 is more aggressively voiced than the II). They, along with the 6505/+ (exact same head, just renamed) seem to be a staple in this genre as well.

-AJH

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I'd much rather spring a few hundred than almost two grand. Also give me a heads up if you're ever playing in Raleigh or Wilmington, I'd love to come and rock the **** out.

It sounded pretty brutal tonight! I'm extremely happy with the setup, and the tone of both of my heads really complimented my other guitarist's TriAmp MK II and Uberschall. Massive wall of sound. The Peavey was as I said, a light brighter than the mesa, but, I set up my mesa to have a good amount of midrange punch, and I did the same with the 5150 II, and it worked really well. I ran the Mesa through the bottom cab, and the 5150 through the top. I didn't have the heads ridiculously loud or anything (my ears aren't even ringing), but I could hear myself really well, even without anything running in our monitors (sound guy was an idiot). I'm happy with my purchase....for now :lol: (there's always something bigger and better.....)

-AJH

Latest posts

Back