Mark IV Pull Pot

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for the Lead Drive pot on my Mark IV? I contacted Mesa and they no longer keep them in stock. I found one on Amazon that might work, but the reviews said they were poor quality.

This is the pot on Mesa's site:
Pot 591842 - 280/S 1M Audio with Pull-Switch

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement for the Lead Drive pot on my Mark IV? I contacted Mesa and they no longer keep them in stock. I found one on Amazon that might work, but the reviews said they were poor quality.

I'm pretty sure I have one that is surplus to requirements. I'm in UK so if you are not shipping will be an issue.

Mesa boogie potentiometers are crap (in the case of repair)

On my mark v, I would have to spend about 30€ for a push pull potentiometer
I solved by buying a normal push pull on ebay, after which I modified the thread by mounting on the threaded male part of a 6.3mm Jack (the silver part that usually blocks the female Jack on the panel)

What is wrong with the pot? I just dealt with this a couple days ago I have an early version iv and this is the pot used in my amp. I had a broken shaft and was able to repair it.
Z-MB-A1M-PP-Poti-Mesa-Boogie-1M-Audio-Loetoese-Push-Pull-z-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure I have one that is surplus to requirements. I'm in UK so if you are not shipping will be an issue.
Yea, I'm in the US. Thanks though!

What is wrong with the pot? I just dealt with this a couple days ago I have an early version iv and this is the pot used in my amp. I had a broken shaft and was able to repair it.
Z-MB-A1M-PP-Poti-Mesa-Boogie-1M-Audio-Loetoese-Push-Pull-z-1.jpg

The shaft is broken, but the pot itself doesn't work. It spins 360° and there's no change in gain level. The pull bright function still works though. I bought it from eBay, so it could have been damaged in shipping.

I think the Tube Amp Doctor has the pot you're looking for.

Looks like it's out of stock there as well. Thanks though!

No luck on this specific pot, but thanks!
Valvestorm has CTS and Alpha for 1 meg push pull pots

Amplifier Pots | ValveStorm Looks close to the one posted earlier.

CTSSwitchPot_1.jpg

I believe that's the same as the one I found on Amazon, which has poor reviews based on the taper. I don't know alot about this, but I believe you can put a resistor onto a pot to smooth out the taper?

If that's true than I'll go ahead with that one.

Looks like it's out of stock there as well. Thanks though!

No luck on this specific pot, but thanks!

I believe that's the same as the one I found on Amazon, which has poor reviews based on the taper. I don't know alot about this, but I believe you can put a resistor onto a pot to smooth out the taper?

If that's true than I'll go ahead with that one.
The CTS pot has a " faulty" carbon resistance trace. My Master One pot on my C+ was a bit faulty. I got a new one from Mesa. After installing, from zero to 2 or 3, nothing . then suddenly it kicks in.I did NOT like that. Totally unacceptable. I removed it and took it apart. That's where I found the above. I used the wiper and shaft of new one. Put old one back in. The problem with the old one was from zero to one, the signal was intermitent . I play at bedroom levels and wiggling the pot would increase or decrease volume. There is a mod that is done to deal with these shady pots at Mesa. A 22k resistor was installed in series going to lug. And I wasn't going to do that. I have no clue what that mod actually does and how the pot responds. Also, it really needs to be an audio taper. While apart I measured resistance trace with multi meter. The 1 meg pot measured 500k at three quarters full!! If your using the pot as your Lead Drive position, I hesitant to speculate as to how it will react. Keep us posted on your findings. Blessings, Jim.

I have heard about the late carbon strip in the CTS, the wiper doesn't connect till you get to 1 or 2.

Can't see how that would be a problem in this case as I would never run the lead drive pot on 1

ymmv

I have heard about the late carbon strip in the CTS, the wiper doesn't connect till you get to 1 or 2.

Can't see how that would be a problem in this case as I would never run the lead drive pot on 1

ymmv

So would the pot work without modification since the taper issue is only relevant from 0-2ish? I can't imagine setting lead drive below 5. When I had my first IV it was almost always set at 7-9.

I think it would be fine as is, the problem is when using it as a volume pot and you want to turn it down really low.

As Henz pointed out it is an audio pot so the middle point is near 7 on the dial, probably why we have to run them so high.

I think it would be fine as is, the problem is when using it as a volume pot and you want to turn it down really low.

As Henz pointed out it is an audio pot so the middle point is near 7 on the dial, probably why we have to run them so high.
I totally agree. As mentioned, mine was used for Volume. And I like bedroom levels. This pot did Not satisfy. For lead drive, no problem. Like you said, for distortion, who turns the setting to zero to two. But, if its used to go to your clean channel , not sure how that would affect. Blessings.

Really..!! they don't maintain they're top of the line Amplifiers ?
That is ridiculous
I kind of agree but..............

they started building them 33 years ago and they stopped building them 15 years ago.

You can't really expect them to have stock for everything decades after the amp is discontinued, can you?

I kind of agree but..............

they started building them 33 years ago and they stopped building them 15 years ago.

You can't really expect them to have stock for everything decades after the amp is discontinued, can you?
Those parts are cheap they should maintain stock to keep those expensive amplifiers on the road.
A 1958 Fender Tweed Bassman Amp is still repairable to this day and that was made 60 years ago.

True..the parts in those amps were not made by Fender for the most part they were kind of standard stuff.
If I needed a replacement part for a Bassman I'd contact Victoria or repair guy would get compatible from manufacturer or maybe from Fender who have part only because they are making a similar current amp not because they are maintaining they're old products.
But it just seems it's kind of just a matter of will to have replacement parts for past amps not expense.

Do you have the part # on the back of the pot? I have a few pots from mesa which I think are mostly CTS.
Btw, is there a sticky on Mark pots? I need to replace one on a OG Mark project. It would be nice to have a reference sheet.

Back