FX loop wet/dry mix levels, Mark V vs Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher65

Reaction score
I've noticed that the wet/dry ratio in the FX loops of my Mark V vs. my Mark III seem to be different. The Mark V's loop is much wetter.

Is it supposed to be like that? I was under the impression that the loop on any Mark series amp is always a straight series affair, without any wet/dry mix,
but the Mark III unquestionably has a much dryer signal.

This difference is making it difficult for me to get the brain crushing stereo signal I am seeking.

Now it's getting weirder. What I'm trying to do is use stereo rack effects and split them so that each amp gets half of each unit. Which is an Alesis Quadraverb 4 and an Alesis DEQ-230. I want both amps to get the same time-based effects and, for the moment, matched EQ curves, by treating each unit as two separate effects units. Signal path for Mark V is send out to Q-verb in, channel A, out to Channel A on the GEQ, out of EQ to the FX return on the amp. Signal path for the Mark III is identical except it's all on channel B. A simple parallel path.
BUT...somehow it's like I'm getting an enhanced effect out of one channel of the effects units, like one is feeding the other. But there is no connection between any A circuit effects and any B circuit effects. And this enhanced effect is only in one channel, channel A., but ONLY when all jacks are connected.

This should not be a full stereo rig yet...because I don't have the inputs of both amps connected at once. That comes later after all the loop stuff is worked out properly. But despite that, I'm getting enough crosstalk, or some other issue, that when I plug into the Mark V, I get output from both amps. When I plug into the Mark III, I get output from both amps.
It's like the Quadraverb is summing its inputs or outputs....but not equally. And at a time when it should not be doing that. It does have mono to stereo functionality but not when you have jacks plugged into both inputs.
I think I just talked out out. I now think I've got a problem with a switching input jack on the mono (left) input, and it's not switching properly.

I still want to know if the Mark III and Mark V have similar or different FX loop mix parameters.

From my experience with the V it tends to be "dryer" with some effects when they are in the FX loop. The best I could tell is the SEND level of the V is hotter than normal (the channel MASTER volume controls the level of the SEND, so it can get hot on channel 3 MASTER set to 10-11 o'clock with high gain (2+ o'clock), SEND level dial at noon. What I found was the delay pedal in the loop would "top out"... so, turning up the SEND level dial would not make the wet signal any stronger, just the dry. As the SEND level dial goes down the wet signal would become relatively louder. So, I tend to run with the SEND level at about 10 to 11 o'clock when using said delay pedal.

Anyway, sounds like a different situation than what you have going on?

That is a bit different, but my primary question remains: Should the baked-in wet/dry mix of the FX loop be the same, or different, between the Mark III and the Mark V 90? Even when I break it down to a SINGLE channel of the Quadraverb in use, and try that single channel in both amps, I still get noticeably different effect levels. So they do seem to have different wet/dry mix levels in the amps themselves.
I suppose I could look at the schematics....

It appears that an essential problem I'm encountering is that the Quadraverb does not have a dual mono mode of operation. I also think it's got issues anyway.

Back