first song post - mesa roadster clean/rhythm/lead

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantcooper2

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first song post here so please be kind :)

I have been working on some songs with a friend of mine, a drummer, for the past year or so and we are working on putting together a small collection of songs to make a sort of...online EP, or something of that nature. He does the drumming/precussion and some synth stuff, I do guitar/bass/some synth stuff as well...and we kind of both are into the recording/mixing/mastering...which is fairly new to us, but we are trying our best!

This is the first song, entitled 'Mummy Trouble', that we have (almost) completed and have any sort of recording of. I must warn you, the mix is...well, not mixed. Most tracks are straight off the Tascam 2488mkI recorder and then there are many guitar tracks/synth tracks over dubbed via direct recording...so this doesn't really show how it will sound in completion as nothing is mixed properly and nothing has been eq'd or anything...and a lot is unbalanced (especially the bass, it is weighted to the right). There is a mix of 2 amps, a Hughes and Kettner Duotone, and a Mesa Roadster. There is also some direct in recording. The mesa can be heard at the one clean "lead" around 2:45, the distorted lead around 4:50, and a lot of the heavy section has the roadster layered with the duotone...which all needs to be mixed properly, as previously mentioned.

NEVERTHELESS...I felt like posting this to give a sample of what is to come from me and hopefully get some constructive criticism back from a community of musicians which have helped me a lot over the years (from before I was even a member).

I hope someone can dig some of the grooves in here, but if not, oh well! Anyways here it is:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8349672

I have a tough time classifying my own music but I would say it ranges from metal, to rock, to funk, to jazz, to psychedelic, to ambient to whatever we feel like I suppose. There are no boundaries in our writing, though this song probably has the most funk aspects to it...the rest are more...prog rock/metal I suppose. This one also has a sort of non existent song structure where its just sort of constantly evolving...nothing really comes back to anything and there isn't really much of a motif.

my influences include, but are not limited to:
-Opeth
-Gentle Giant
-Meshuggah
-Sigur Ros
-Bulb
-Porcupine Tree
-BTBAM
-King Crimson
-Tool

I have a 6 string baritone song tuned down to F coming up pretty soon so if this doesn't float your boat, that might. We are planning on recording the rest of our songs over Christmas break...then mixing everything, including Mummy Trouble, properly!

peace!
-grant

39 views and no responses :(

nobody!? any comments/feedback/constructive criticism/advice? anything?

Alright man I'll be the first.

I like it! It's different, has a funky sound too it. Pretty cool.

Turumbar82 said:
Alright man I'll be the first.

I like it! It's different, has a funky sound too it. Pretty cool.

finally haha! awesome man thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it :)

It's nice!

It is pretty funky while remaining progressive. I can definitely hear your influences in there, but its not like most people who sound EXACTLY like their influences. Kudos!

Yes, very funky cool. Good recording, good rough mix, nice balance, well played, almost perfect timing which is essential with this kind of sound. Well done, very nice.

I take it it is hard to figure out a catchy solo riff to go over this stuff? :mrgreen: With what I hear as chromatics in the design, it would be hard to find the right mode to play in, but I'm sure it would be something just as funky, like some phrygian or some whole tone scale,etc....

I think you might have included David Bowie in your influences......if you slow this song down and throw in a heavily flanged guitar lead, it would remind me of Fame.

soundchaser59 said:
Yes, very funky cool. Good recording, good rough mix, nice balance, well played, almost perfect timing which is essential with this kind of sound. Well done, very nice.

I take it it is hard to figure out a catchy solo riff to go over this stuff? :mrgreen: With what I hear as chromatics in the design, it would be hard to find the right mode to play in, but I'm sure it would be something just as funky, like some phrygian or some whole tone scale,etc....

I think you might have included David Bowie in your influences......if you slow this song down and throw in a heavily flanged guitar lead, it would remind me of Fame.

thanks man!

and yeah it is pretty tough implementing a solo somewhere in that funky part haha. I am not sure if I am going to add a solo to that funky section at all. there is the one sort of rhythm'ish lead, but its not really a solo per se. i think it is pretty full already and I didn't leave much room in that section for any leads (oops).

the next few songs of mine with have more leads for sure. but, I am a rhythm player by nature, so my leads are most likely lacking !

I like it alot!

Not funky.... sounds like Phish (in the beginning) meets King Crimson and Symphony X (rhythm) towards the middle/ end. Maybe a hint of ELP.

Honestly the mix sounded pretty good already. I loved the clean tones.

TimeSignature said:
I like it alot!

Not funky.... sounds like Phish (in the beginning) meets King Crimson and Symphony X (rhythm) towards the middle/ end. Maybe a hint of ELP.

Honestly the mix sounded pretty good already. I loved the clean tones.

very kind words sir! thank you.

you are definitely right about the king crimson influence. the intro riff is completely inspired by Lament by King Crimson. I took what fripp was doing with the "almost every note is a half step pull off/hammer on" and just went over the top with it making every single note a pull off, including harmonics (had to use the g-system to cheat for that one) haha

EDIT: by the way I am in no way comparing myself to the genius that is Robert Fripp!

in case anyone cares...

so I got a lot of positive reviews of this piece both here and at multiple other forums. my friend and I got really busy with work and school and recording never came around xmas like it was supposed to. however, writing did. we now have well over a full albums worth of material and we are going to record it during the summer and release it both as an online download or a physical purchase. I had quite a lot of interest from both my peers and randoms so hopefully people will be pumped on our other material... unfortunately it is just the two of us so it is a lot of work, and we won't be able to play live haha.

again thanks for all the kind words and if you haven't listened to it yet and feel like wasting over 9 minutes of your life on audible (dis?)pleasure: check it out in the OP

peace
-grant

I have some Bella Fleck and the Flecktones music. You may find them interesting. Not exactly how you sound, but for some reason, listening to your tune makes me think of them. Maybe the percussive element in the guitar playing. Unusual beats? Sinister Minister is song by them to Limewire. Keep in mind he plays a Stratocaster bodied electric banjo. Sounds like a wierd thing but it is way way cool. I think you will like it and maybe add them as an influence. Very progressive.

Glad to see someone living outside the box.... Keep with your vision. Refreshingly different.

I really really like it, a good mix of acid jazz and funk , i would love hearing this on a warm summer day outdoors with a cold bud in my hand .

Good work

Back