Different Speakers with Mark V Heads - 25, 35 or 90w amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newysurfer

Reaction score
G'day

For past 2 yrs have been running my Mark V 25 thru a 2x12 closed cab with V30s and also a 1x12 closed cab with a single V30.
Sounds great with both - no issues or gripes to report.

I'm now considering experimenting with different speakers in my 1x12 cab - especially alnico speakers.
Can anyone report on outcomes using a Celestion Alnico Gold (60W) or Celestion Alnico Cream (90w).
How did these speakers sound thru the whole gain range from cleans, crunch to high gain?
Was their any significant difference between the Celestion Gold and the Cream speakers ?

And ...... I thought this thread could also be a good resource for owners reporting on their use of different speaker types/brands.
So please tell us about your experiences using any kind of speaker cab you've tried with either Mark V, Mark V 35 or Mark V 25.

How did they sound thru the whole gain range from cleans, crunch to high gain :)

8JHm07t.jpg

I've gone from a MarkV combo using the stock Black Shadow C90's to the 2x12 recto cab using V30s. No complaints.
I've been meaning to get me some birch and cut a 3/4 open back because I kind of miss that open back cab sound.
That, and I've been thinking of pairing the C90 with the V90 in the same 3/4 open back.

I’ve done some speaker rolling in my stock Mark V: 25 through a 1x12” mini recto cab.

Caveat: I haven’t run any alnico speakers.

Here’s what I’ve run:

-stock Mesa V30: sounds great. Too many mids with my DiMarzio-loaded PRS, hence the speaker rolling...

-Eminence Cannabis Rex: also sounds solid. Slightly airier on the top end... maybe hazy? Not as dark as people make it out to be. Low end a bit loose, but the bass knob tightens that up nicely as expected.

-Fane 16 ohm F70: this is currently what’s in there, and what I’ll likely stick to. A darker and tighter V30 with the mid hump shifted lower. A bit of sag, likely from using 16 ohms. Sounds solid at bedroom volumes which is what I got the 16 ohm speaker for.

Overall the difference between speakers is subtler than you’d think, and learning the Mesa so-to-speak gets you farther than speaker rolling. For the sake of my power tubes I’m thinking of switching back to the V30 now that I’ve spent some time learning how to master the amp, though I am also compelled to leave the F70 in as it ain’t broke so I shouldn’t fix it...

I put a Celestion Neo Creamback in my MV:35 combo. I have also used a 27" wide Lonestar C90 1X12 as an extension cab with very good results. The more interesting was using my 96 Matchless EDS 2X12 wired for 8ohms as the extension cab - outdoor gig kinda deep stage, all the more easier to hear myself - the Matchless cab brought out the 3D nature of the amp, even outside.

Back