Any Interest in a Custom Amp Switcher?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarebitusa

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Boogie Forum Folks... The topic says it all. Here we go...

So as my amp collection grew I wanted a seamless way of switching between them in my studio. With alot of input from fellow boogieforum bro Thaymz about multiple amp support, I ended up creating a custom midi based tri-amp switcher that switches between 3 amps and supports 4CM. It also has the capability of directing preamps to other power amps supports stereo, wet dry, etc. It has midi in/out and the capability to process FC or CC commands so it's got programmatic flexibility. I put together a prototype by hand, a labor of love that was... it's been the heart of the studio for a while now.

I could have gone the KHE route, Radial or other switcher solutions, they are perfectly fine solutions. Mostly this endeavor was for the learning, midi especially and I like doing this stuff anyway. It's a modular approach, expandable with the switch modules.

Now I'm thinking about making another one to support my live work and possibly a dual amp setup with integrated amp control to eliminate the external Voodoo control switcher. Making another one by hand is not a good idea for the rigors of the road. So my thinking now is creating a simple base PCB motherboard that can accept the switch modules, the Arduino controller and power supply.

Just looking for feedback, input, discussion before I build anything like a PCB for the switch modules. Dunno maybe there is interest from others, but I'm not looking to go into some kinda business here :) maybe open sourcing what I have is of interest. Anyway any thoughts are welcomed.

Attachments

• amp_switch_block_v1.jpg
    amp_switch_block_v1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 9
  • amp_switch_midi_block_v1.jpg
    amp_switch_midi_block_v1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
  • switch_internals.jpg
    switch_internals.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 0
  • switch_insys_3amps.jpg
    switch_insys_3amps.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 0

So as my amp collection grew I wanted a seamless way of switching between them in my studio. With alot of input from fellow boogieforum bro Thaymz about multiple amp support, I ended up creating a custom midi based tri-amp switcher that switches between 3 amps and supports 4CM. It also has the capability of directing preamps to other power amps supports stereo, wet dry, etc. It has midi in/out and the capability to process FC or CC commands so it's got programmatic flexibility. I put together a prototype by hand, a labor of love that was... it's been the heart of the studio for a while now.

I could have gone the KHE route, Radial or other switcher solutions, they are perfectly fine solutions. Mostly this endeavor was for the learning, midi especially and I like doing this stuff anyway. It's a modular approach, expandable with the switch modules.

Now I'm thinking about making another one to support my live work and possibly a dual amp setup with integrated amp control to eliminate the external Voodoo control switcher. Making another one by hand is not a good idea for the rigors of the road. So my thinking now is creating a simple base PCB motherboard that can accept the switch modules, the Arduino controller and power supply.

Just looking for feedback, input, discussion before I build anything like a PCB for the switch modules. Dunno maybe there is interest from others, but I'm not looking to go into some kinda business here :) maybe open sourcing what I have is of interest. Anyway any thoughts are welcomed.

Great work!

This type of project has been on my radar as well, I picked up a KHE 4x4 FX for the time being as I’m impatient and have had other priorities. I’m reasonably happy with the KHE, but wish I could route preamps to different power amps, so it’s cool to see that your design supports that! For some reason the CC doesn’t work as I’d hoped with the KHE, I had to go the program change route to select amps with my MIDI controller.

One thing that’s nice about the KHE that I didn’t think I’d use is the attenuator loop. The switcher supports multiple cabs, I run WDW so it allows me to use a single line output. The attenuator loop is in series with the selected load, I use a Weber mass attenuator on bypass for line out.

A couple things for you to consider!

Great work!

This type of project has been on my radar as well, I picked up a KHE 4x4 FX for the time being as I’m impatient and have had other priorities. I’m reasonably happy with the KHE, but wish I could route preamps to different power amps, so it’s cool to see that your design supports that! For some reason the CC doesn’t work as I’d hoped with the KHE, I had to go the program change route to select amps with my MIDI controller.

One thing that’s nice about the KHE that I didn’t think I’d use is the attenuator loop. The switcher supports multiple cabs, I run WDW so it allows me to use a single line output. The attenuator loop is in series with the selected load, I use a Weber mass attenuator on bypass for line out.

A couple things for you to consider!
Thanks for chiming in... Yea an integrated load and cab switcher has been in the idea bin too. If the focus is a dual amp switcher a single cab with maintaining a load on both amps is probably a wise thing.

I went a different route. I cabled the amp input into my patch bay. Switching amps is pretty easy. For amp output, I bought a de-Leslie amp speaker switcher. This gives me the option of running the amp output into a PS-2 in addition to other cabs.

Nice work on your setup, though. Impressive. Took some planning.

I went a different route. I cabled the amp input into my patch bay. Switching amps is pretty easy. For amp output, I bought a de-Leslie amp speaker switcher. This gives me the option of running the amp output into a PS-2 in addition to other cabs.

Nice work on your setup, though. Impressive. Took some planning.
Cool was not aware of that de Lisle Amp-Speaker Selector... I could use something like that :) Thanks for sharing

Cool was not aware of that de Lisle Amp-Speaker Selector... I could use something like that :) Thanks for sharing

I own the V2, using it with four heads into a 2x12 or my Torpedo Live. I'd been looking at the KHE stuff but decided to try the de Lisle based on price. Realized after about two weeks that it did everything I needed for my jam room setup. Great unit, seems very well built, does everything it says on the tin. If you think it's for you, yep, it probably is and you won't be disappointed (tho I'd like it even more if rack ears suddenly appeared on it.)

Where did you land on this? Did you have any ground loop issues without isolation transformers? I'm thinking about developing something similar to the Boogie High Gain Amp Switcher since it's out of production, was thinking about going the midi route rather than tip/sleeve jacks

Where did you land on this? Did you have any ground loop issues without isolation transformers? I'm thinking about developing something similar to the Boogie High Gain Amp Switcher since it's out of production, was thinking about going the midi route rather than tip/sleeve jacks
Well it's been working in my studio for over a year now. Kinda hooked on using it :) Have actually have not had any ground loop issues, thankfully. I've cycled other amps in and have also transitioned the GT-100 to a GT-1000 core. All without any issue. Since I'm doing alot more live stuff lately had thought about making a mini version of a 2 amp switcher but the roadie in me is saying no.

There are general blocks of this design that can be repurposed. The FCB1010 midi control stuff to the Arduino controller can be of value. I haven't done anything more on an attenuator integration or cab switching which would be pretty cool. If you went the discrete I/O tip/sleeve way a voodoo control switcher is pretty darn cost effective for control.

O.p.
Yours actually does a lot more than my ol discontinued mesa amp switcher..( which it's title was always a bit misleading). And at least on my version,I never liked if you didn't have at 1 input selected,you had no pass thru sound at all. There was a company some years ago that was taking the mesa switcher and adding some pretty cool features to it.I believe they were taking orders and everything. They dissapeared. I like your idea tho.great work!

O.p.
Yours actually does a lot more than my ol discontinued mesa amp switcher..( which it's title was always a bit misleading). And at least on my version,I never liked if you didn't have at 1 input selected,you had no pass thru sound at all. There was a company some years ago that was taking the mesa switcher and adding some pretty cool features to it.I believe they were taking orders and everything. They dissapeared. I like your idea tho.great work!

This is kind of what I'm thinking about doing, it will unfortunately be an expensive unit. I just special ordered four of the transformers needed for it and that was >$500 alone. Also, Jensen will not do quantity pricing. I tried using a GCX and isolation transformers, but couldn't get rid of ground loops no matter what I tried. Even if I could have, I would've still needed an external mixer, whereas the Boogie HGAS has an integrated mixer.

I'll probably do a run of 10 chassis / PCBs at some point, I wish Boogie would revive this unit so we didn't have to!

Isolation and grounds are always big issues in these, even phase sometimes.
Here's this other company ( no longer in oper.) that was making an improved version of the mesa.I liked what I saw there.
Screenshot_20240223-095737_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240223-095640_Chrome.jpg

^^^^ I have no idea on cost.I wish I did.I saw this and was too late, they were already closed.I wanted one of these so bad.I ended up using Bradshaw's, but I would've easily bought one of these.

I use the De Lislie 8x6 pro with master fx loop and attenuator loop. I have 3 high gain heads and one combo all sharing the same front end and loop fx and access to 3 cabs now with ability to add 3 more. No ground loop issues or noticeable tone change
O.p.

Attachments

• IMG_7517.jpeg
    IMG_7517.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 0
Back