20/20 speaker config questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dewdman42

Reaction score
Hey guys, new 20/20 owner here. My Avatar cab is not really ideal because its wired for mono 8ohm (2 16ohm speakers inside). I'm gonna replace it with something else that I intend to run stereo. The obvious easy answer up to here is get any 2x12, wired for stereo, with two 8 ohm speakers inside.

However, I want the option to run two 2x12 cabs in order to get bigger sound on certain venues. Most of the time I will only be using a single 2x12.

So I've been trying to figure out what kind of cabs should I get such that I could use one of them in stereo mode for one gig, or combine them for another gig somehow with the 20/20, with stereo mode happening, but doesn't neccessarily need to be that each channel is going to each cab, just that I am able to use both channels of the 20/20.

Its not clear to me how the 20/20 functions with the 6 outputs on the back. If I am using the 4 ohm outs do I have to use ALL of the 4 ohm outs? Can I use both the 8 ohm and 4 ohm outs at the same time? The manual doesn't really say exactly, it just describes a couple possible scenarios, but it leaves unanswered questions and I want to make sure I'm providing the right load to the amp, both in terms of safe as well as efficiency...

One possible setup I thought of is to put 4 ohm speakers into the cabs, both cabs setup as stereo cabs, with slave outs so that i can chain each one to another cab, creating an 8ohm chain on each channel. so with two cabs I'd use the single 8 ohm out of the 20/20 and with a single 2x12 I'd just use one 4ohm out for each channel. Or actually now that I think about it, if I have both cabs setup as stereo with 4ohm cabs, then I could just run all 4 outs of the 20/20 into the 4 inputs of the two cabs, that actually makes a lot more sense.

Personally I would prefer if my cabs where 8ohm, instead of 4ohm, just for compatability with other amps in the future. But I can't think of a good way to setup the two cabs so that I can run 8ohms from the amp, and be able to switch between a single cab or double cabs.

maybe someone else has some other possible suggestions for this?

Back