The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:37 am 
Bottle Rocket

For those guys with rectifier experience----
All punchy bass frequencys aside, does the ROV25's vintage and modern channels compare with its bigger, 50 &100 watt brothers? Obviously EL84s are a much different tube, but my understanding, is Mesa made it work, and with an extention cab, these little amps do the trick. True or False? If false what sets them apart? Tone, amount of gain? Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:34 am 
Mark I

The RV25 combo is a new beast all it’s own in my opinion. It definitely has some tricks up it’s sleeve particularly in 10W mode that I have not heard from another Mesa amp. It’s super responsive and crunchy and juicy.

One thing it does have in common with the big Rectos (that I almost never hear anyone talk about) are the excellent cleans. It doesn’t have a ton of clean headroom but damn, the clean channel sounds fantastic. Appreciate the cleanness a while then for sh*ts and giggles dime the gain knob and prepare to be amazed.

Something I have noticed that may or may not be important to you is that it sounds kinda crappy at lower volumes. You really have to turn this amp up to be in the sweet zone.

Maybe someone in the know could chime in here but the power section reminds me a lot of my old F-30. Whether this amp and the Mark 5:25 use an evolution of the old Dyna-Watt 2xEL84 config I dunno but it has that feel.

Last edited by Ryann on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:12 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Thanks for the response! Bedroom volumes are not important to me that much as much as what itll do on stage. I have heard great things about the clean channel from reviews and what not. What are your opinions of modern mode on the ROV25? Similiar to the big guys in terms of voicing, or no?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:31 pm 
Mark I

I would have to hear the RV25 driving a 4x12 cab in order to comment on that legitimately. Maybe someone else can chime in here?

I will say that Ch.2 Modern mode is not in the top five things I appreciate about it. The combo is pretty damn aggressive sounding @ 25W through the new Fillmore speaker but isn’t what makes it special IMO.