OK-I want some more opinions on tubes for the Duel Rec 3ch.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyNoise

Reaction score
So I've been reading some of the post's on here about Tung Sol and JJ's and some other tubes on here that people liked and didn't. A guy I work with recently brought me 4 JJ Tesla 12ax7's for me to try out in my Duel.

I love the way my boogie sounds now. BUT I'm always open to trying new things. If I could improve the tone..I will and I know it's all relevent to the one's own taste. I do NOT want to spend $500 dollers to do it though...

So what do you guys think? My rig is below..

Try a TungSol in V1, with JJs for the rest, and you should be set. The TungSol made such a huge difference in my Triple - but in a very subtle way, if that makes any sense.

So 1 TungSol in V1 and 4 JJ 12AX7 in the rest?
What was the sound difference?

It's, well, "clearer", without a lot of the trashy overtones the stock tubes have. (I didn't really notice them until they weren't there.) You'll get smoother, "sweeter" tone that still has that Recto aggression, if that makes any sense...

I just put 2 Tung Sols on order yesterday. I have a full retube set of JJ's in my room waiting, going to pull em all and put them all in along with the Tung Sol in the V1. I also swapped out the rectifier tubes with the GZ34's.
Just waiting on my Tung Sol's to arrive to retube who thing and turn her on!

Anyone out there running Phillips USA 6L6's in a recto? Id be interested what people think about them--Im running some in my triple right now because its what came with it when I bought it on ebay a while back....and I question whether they are good or not. I talked to the guy @ euro tubes and he said they stopped making that tube or any tubes in the US back in the 70's-so these things are pretty old. Im not sure how long he sported them in that amp before he sold it to me but..I @ least know theyve been on a shelf for a while. Does anyone know if tubes can loose life by sitting on the shelf? :? I feel like I have a lack of punch to it--

they don't lose life...hence the rage over New Old Stock tubes. They are old tubes that have never been used and are in perfect condition.

Micah said:
Anyone out there running Phillips USA 6L6's in a recto? Id be interested what people think about them--Im running some in my triple right now because its what came with it when I bought it on ebay a while back....and I question whether they are good or not. I talked to the guy @ euro tubes and he said they stopped making that tube or any tubes in the US back in the 70's-so these things are pretty old. Im not sure how long he sported them in that amp before he sold it to me but..I @ least know theyve been on a shelf for a while. Does anyone know if tubes can loose life by sitting on the shelf? :? I feel like I have a lack of punch to it--

Do you know how many playing hours thye have on them? The older USA-made tubes are generally superior in construction to anything you buy new, but they have a usage lifespan, too. It sounds like they're atthe end of that lifespan.

Latest posts

Back