The Eggie-Recto! What do you guys think of this...?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will the Egnater Rebel on a Recto 1x12 blow your socks off?

• Yes! It rocks!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No! It sucks!

• What the heck!!?? This is sacrilege!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's ok, but it's better with the regular Eggie 1x12 cab.

• Total voters

Kiteboarder

Reaction score
I've got an Egnater Rebel. I like it. But, I'm also a Mesa fan and own some wonderful Mesa stuff.

Since I'm not fully convinced on the Rebel 1x12 cabinet (don't get me wrong, they sound great) but, I naturally thought about pairing the little guy with a Recto 1x12 cab.

Any thoughts. Here's how it looks on "paper." I'm interested in comments about performance, but looks too. Please keep in mind that the Eggie Rebel 1x12 is ported. The Mesa 1x12 is sealed. I could obviously modify it to make it ported if need be. :mrgreen:

eggie_recto.jpg

I like it a lot !!

the only thing stopping me getting one of these heads is ........ its single channel

I need two channels minimum (three even better)

Yeah, that's definitely a con. But it sounds so good that I don't care! :) I've got my Lonestar for the dual channel stuff! -D

I didn't really like it too much. As far as those little amps go, for me the Tiny Terror took the whole bakery.

Turdwrangler said:
I didn't really like it too much. As far as those little amps go, for me the Tiny Terror took the whole bakery.

Ok... Fair enough. To each his own. I haven't tried a Tiny Terror, so I can't say which is best. Independently, I like the Rebel a lot, as I own one. I'm just curious on the thoughts of pairing it up with a Mesa 1x12 Recto Cab. Somebody recommended a 1x12 Thiele Cab since it's more similar to the Egnater 1x12. The Thiele cab is from ported, like the Rebel 1x12 cab.

Kiteboarder said:
Turdwrangler said:

Ok... Fair enough. To each his own. I haven't tried a Tiny Terror, so I can't say which is best. Independently, I like the Rebel a lot, as I own one. I'm just curious on the thoughts of pairing it up with a Mesa 1x12 Recto Cab. Somebody recommended a 1x12 Thiele Cab since it's more similar to the Egnater 1x12. The Thiele cab is from ported, like the Rebel 1x12 cab.

I played my Tiny Terror through either a 2x12 with V30s or a valve jr. 1x12 which has an eminence lady luck and it had the exact crunch I was looking for. The rebel was cool and has great features but it wasn't like dead-on like the TT was.

My Rebel sits on a Mesa 2x12 & it... is... outstanding!

(The Rebel replaced the Tiny Terror which has been moved onto the Blackheart... I need a new picture)

bedroom_studio10.jpg

Man, that's a cool rig! So your Tiny Recto is now an Eggie Recto!! Hahaha! Do you guys know that Recto is the Spanish word for "colon"??? Heh heh

Anyway, I like your Moog setup there. Pretty amazing. Is that a custom rack for them?

Hi guys....noob here

I just got a Rebel-20 today. I ordered the full stack, but one of the cabs is backordered. Sounds good so far.

egnater.jpg

I sold a Rickenbacker 360 for it....I'm still a little bummed, but it didn't match my style of playing.

Nice small rig

myrig.jpg

Tommy

TommySixGun said:
Hi guys....noob here

I just got a Rebel-20 today. I ordered the full stack, but one of the cabs is backordered. Sounds good so far.

egnater.jpg

I sold a Rickenbacker 360 for it....I'm still a little bummed, but it didn't match my style of playing.

Nice small rig

myrig.jpg

Tommy

Cool Tommy, thanks for posting the pics...!

I'm enjoying my Rebel right now recording a little trip hop bluegrass experiment. I'm still considering the Mesa cab/Rebel combination... I'll report soon.

-D

I finally updated the photo of my main setup.

amps4.jpg

bedroom_studio10.jpg

Here's the configuration:

tubeamp_config.jpg

Basically, both guitars run through the Peterson strobe tuner. The Schecter runs wirelessly & can route to my Mesa Roadster or through the Moogerfooger pedals & on to the Rebel 20 & the Mesa 2x12 cab.

The Ric 360MG is split with an insert-cable for full stereo output where the bridge pickup (bright tone) goes through the Roadster or Moogers & Rebel (darker amps) to balance the tone, while the neck pickup (muted tone) shoots through the Boss ME-70 where it further splits via the Radial Engineering to either the Orange Tiny Terror or the Blackheart Little Giant (brighter amps).

Lastly, I can route the Ric's neck pickup & take advantage of the stereo outputs of the ME-70 to feed the Rebel & the Orange|Blackheart.

The keystone of my sound is realized by the Radial Engineering VT head switcher:

1. Keep the Rebel clean (L) & run the Blackheart clean (R)
2. Run the Rebel clean (L) with the dirty Orange (R)
3. Rebel dirty (L) & the Blackheart clean (R)
4. Rebel dirty (L) with the dirty Orange (R)

The Blackheart's (open-backed) speaker & Orange (closed-backed) cab are wired together at all times no matter which "head" is selected. This gives an open, airy yet punchy sound which is just phenomenal... the best of both worlds if you will.

My setup is extremely versatile. The configuration has been in minor flux, especially every time I added another peice of gear, but I've finally implemented the Rick-O-Sound capabilities & taken advantage of the stereo output of the ME-70. It looks complicated but really, its not. Just trace a couple paths & you'll see what I mean. I only have to punch a couple Lehle switches & only have to remember which pickup goes where. Usually, I play the Rickenbacker & only switch from having the stereo Ric to stereo ME-70. I can't run the Schecter to the Class-As (Orange or Blackheart) but the humbuckers sound better through the Mesa or Rebel anyway. Though I can always plug the Schecter straight in as necessary.

Anyway, I thought some of you might enjoy seeing what can be done by incorporating a few A/B switches into your kit. I used to get my sounds through a lot of effect pedals. These days, effects are run much more subtly & I rely on getting my sound through different flavors & combinations of amplifiers instead... more pristine tone as compared to a buttload of effectors. Most folks like to run a bit of chorus, delay, or reverb to "open up" a dry guitar sound. Sit back & think what you can do & try out a stereo configuration & even just running two amps simultaneously.. one with effects & the other one dry, or a different set of effects. Its the next step into exploring the sonic possibilities. You don't have to go nuts like I did, but you certainly can expand your sound a bit & who knows, maybe you'll stumble on a new, favorite setup for yourself & fresh creativity!

Pretty awesome man. I can tell you've put a lot of time and thought into this rig. The end results look impressive.

Tks.. I sincerely hope you're enjoying your new Rebel as much as I am!
Great little amp.

Back