Dedicated delay pedal help-

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laskyman

Reaction score
Good day all-

The time has finally come for me to begin building collection of dedicated effects for my mighty Roadster and "get away" from the GT8 via 4CM. The GT8 and I have had a lot of really good times, but my tone quest is reaching for a something a little more "high end". The first piece I want is a good delay-
I am looking at 2 units- both of which I will be unable to test drive in my state-
1) Eventide Time Factor ($400) ...spendy...
or
2) TC Nova Delay ($250) ...less $$$ could help me get into a BB Preamp sooner...
3) Boss DD-20 ($200)..noisy as hell is what I hear, and not much more $$ for the above...

All seem to have what I need- a good variety of QUALITY delay types, as well as the all-important ability to save multiple custom presets-

Anyone have one of these units? Use it with a Mesa series loop? I would love to hear your experience...
Thanks-

Laskyman

I have the Nova delay, but use it in a parrallel loop with either my DC-3 or F-50. I love this pedal. The Eeventide also gets great reviews, but was (i) too much $ for me to justify the purchase; and (ii) had more functions than I needed.

Check this thread for details on performance.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=20458

I have the DD20 and it is a fine piece of gear. Never noticed a noise problem with it. Mostly I like the 4 footswitchable presets (5 if you include the non-preset slot), the modulation setting which is critical to me and hard to find, and you can get the ms readout so you know exactly where to set your speed, it's not a guessing game. And it a Boss. At the end of time there will be nothing left but cockroaches, Keith Richards, and Boss pedals.

i have the dd-20 as well. i don't have any noise problems w/ it and actually use 1 of the settings as my 2nd reverb. highly recommended.

I had a chance to demo the DD20 (and some other delays) recently. Aside from the looper, the dd20 really isnt any more capable than the delay blocks in the GT8. So, I pulled the trigger and have a TC Nova Delay on the way. If I dont find the ND1 to be all that Ive read and heard, I will check out a Trex or Eventide (just dont want to spend $400 on a stomp...)...
Heres hoping-

P.S. A special thanks to whomever posted about EQ pedal as a way to tighten up a Recto- prolly one of the most practical suggestions I have ever applied- danelectro 7 band EQ with some slight drops in the bottom end turns the Recto into a Riff-master without adding any additional "stuff" to the signal.....great advice- thanks

Laskyman

Wait until December & you'll be rewarded with this gem:
top_L.jpg

Hey Laskyman,
I sold my DD-20 and purchased a nova delay 2 months ago. I actually liked the DD-20 alot, but it added a lot of noise and I couldn't take it anymore. The nova is a great pedal.. easy to use, plenty of functions, and it sounds great. I would highly recommend it. BUT....my ONLY dislike about the pedal are the buttons you step on. There is no click. Some people would probably really like that, but I personally like to feel that click when I engage the pedal...I know this may seem a bit silly to some, but I feel the need to look and make sure my pedal turned on after I tap it when I don't feel it. So, I'm gonna drop the big bucks and try the eventide. If you are interested, I was going to put mine on ebay tommorrow, but If I could save some time not having to list it, I'll sell it to you for a good price.. just let me know
PM Sent

I've used a lot of different delays, both digital and analog. I've had the DD-20 (sounded a bit thin) and the horrid Line6 green delay (broke after a month of light use). By far my favorite delay is the Maxon AD999 Analog Delay. It is all bucket brigade analog w/ 900 ms of delay time. It'll do anything from rockabilly slapback to the wildest U.F.O./outer space sounds imaginable. It sounds so rich and fat that I'm sold for life...

Back