What would you do with 2400 US dollars??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaNoobie

Reaction score
As the title says, I have that much saved up, and I'm planning on buying a JP7, however, it is A LOT of money, so I might change my opinion here.

If you had that much money, what GUITAR (has to be guitar) would you buy? and why? :)

if i could have any guitar in the world it would be a jp6. i too had tons of money but luckily i stumbled onto the jp saved tons of money and still got more guitar than i couldve imagined. 2400 might not get you a bfr but there is debate as to whether or not its better than the regular due to the finished neck and lack of forearm scoop. i personally cant justify buying a bfr simply because of the price combined with the finished neck although the woods and tones are better (opinion). my advice, buy a regular jp and take the extra 800 and buy a guitar depending on what tone you want but cant get out of the jp. you wont regret the jp because of tone, cost, or playability and i dont know what else matters

That's almost enough to get you into a really nice Studio Custom brand new and plenty to get you into one used. Mine is my best guitar period.

i myself love Caparison guitars, but i havent had a chance to try there 7string yet. but the build quality is top notch, and they use great hardware(gotoh H.A.P. tuners, Schaller floyd rose, etc).

http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/caparison-eng/e-07product/e07dellinger7.html
dellinger7%20om.gif

I'd buy another Roadster combo for a sweet stereo setup & a Mogami cable to go with it. That'd pretty much burn through $2.4k.

In reality, I need an HSS guitar, probably a Fender.

for me, it would have to be one of few things:
1) prs of your choice
2) gibson historic reissue (at this price, only used though)
3) a sick Martin or Taylor acoustic
4) if you're a fender guy, a custom shop job, such as the eric johnson.

You may also like David McNaught, Tom Anderson and several other great small shop luthiers.

My focus right now is on recording gear though, so that's where I'd blow it!

Hmm.. the thing is.. I CAN'T play the guitars mentioned, so I have to buy them according to reviews, so would you guys mind telling me what are they so good, recognized etc etc for?

Hamer, Caparison, Anderson etc?

What I'm looking for is a good smooth lead tone, nice CRUNCH and clarity and from time to time good heavy opeth style metal tone :twisted:

try to tell me a MODEL not the MAKER.. that would be even better :)

well i like the caparison because of the neck the most i think. i play a Caparison Horus SE, the fretboard has just enough curve to it to allow you to really feel the notes, and its also made out of an extremely hard maple so it feels just solid as hell. the headstock is also thicker than most and it seems to help the sustain and tone a bit. the tuners have height adjustable poles so you only have as much peg sticking out the front as is needed for the string windings. on the horus its actually really nice not having any switches and just switching between pickups by pressing the spring loaded volume knob down. i believe the schaller floyd rose has replaceable knife edges(the part that pivots the bridge on the posts). but the caparison does have a very thick and distinctive tone compared to most of my guitars, seems kinda mid heavy, which i find helps bring the harmonics and sustain out. also the neck is on the shorter gibson scale instead of the longer fender scale length like most guitars, so the frets are slightly closer together(which is good for someone with smaller hands like me). and of course the Horus has 27frets which is its most distinctive feature.

i love the sound of the pickups, especially the neck pickup. every once in a while i feel like putting in a higher power bridge pickup, but this guitar already cuts through the mix so well as it is that i'm hesitant to change ANYTHING about it. the only mod i've done was added schaller straplocks.

bands that use caparison:
freak kitchen
killswitch engage
dragonland
nocturnal rites
evergrey
james murphy
arch enemy
symphony x
the haunted

but yes other makers like Tom Anderson and Suhr are very nice too, but i believe theyre more expensive. difference being that Andersons and such are hand made in the US, the Caparisons are machine made and hand finished in Japan. personally i'd rather buy 2 caparisons rather than one anderson, but thats just because of my taste in guitars. if i ever wanted a more traditional body style like strat or tele style though i'd be all over an Anderson or Suhr.

btw, i paid about $1700 for my Caparison Horus new in a hardshell case. i believe andersons are closer to $3k if purchased new.

www.wayneguitars.com

check them out... it really depends on what you want. That's wayne charvel's new company (the guy who started charvel, and most hot rod fenders). I have one, best neck on a guitar I have. I do like the petrucci model. difference are.. you can't get a piezo, or JPs custom pickups (i dont like the drop sonic anyway, and you can get the air norton and steve's special) The waynes are strats.. but are custom how ever you want it. Given that you are going to spend up to 2400, I hope you have enough experience playing to have a feel for what you like. Wayne, and his son Mike do most of all the work, one at a time.. very good jobs. If you konw what you want.. you can order the wood, and pickups, have them position switches as you want. And Mike charvel does some killer finishes. If you want something that looks cool, I would definatly consider those. I have the leopard finish (i think they filmed the painting of it too) and it looks really great. Top notch hardware too. They deal direct now, so you can talk to them to get a feel for what you want... I talked a lot with them on the phone after I got my guitar, nice guys.

I would love to get another one custom made from them.
I also have been enjoying my knock off LP alot too and would like to have a real Gibson.

I have a "rock legend" wayne.. the typical strat shape. They make a villian which is a jackson soloist body.. and they also make the mean greanie. and the funky shapes from the 80's.

btw.. I dont think anyone here is going to be able to tell you that a guitar has a good lead and crunch tone. That's all in your pickups and wood choice.. but mostly fingers. So make sure you get a guitar with humbuckers.. you can always swap them if you feel something lacking.

I'd say go to a few guitar stores and play alot of guitars... it's a lot of money to spend.. do the research on what comfy in your hands.

and side note.. im going to take that money and buy a mark IV (blindly cause no one stocks them) unless i wait till namm and hear of some other cooler amp... I was gonna get a roadster.. but the pop annoys me.. and i want the older metallica sound.. and the John Petrucci rythym too..

here's an idea.. buy 2 $1000 guitars.. or 4 $500 dollar guitars.. and tune them all different and swap out pickups... come on... "how many guitars is enough?" "Just one more :)"

I really think a PRS custom 24 is worth your consideration. These can go from the smoothest lead tones (like Carlos Santana) to all out fury, such as Opeth. Both players use PRS guitars, with Opeth specifically using Customs.

The thing about a PRS is that they have a very unique voice. It's a sweet, punchy sound that is distinct because of the pickups they use and the scale length (25") which is unlike Gibson (24.5") and Fender (about 25.5"). The sound may or may not be for you...check out some of these videos on youtube of a Custom 24 and you'll see. Check the neck specs on their website to see if the neck profiles are to your taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvTSdH8H12A

2400? id save up till i had 2700 and buy the flame top or quilted, whatever it is - (i try not to look at it, thus suppressing the urge to buy one :) ) - ebmm jp6 in the bahama burst. no questions asked.

Gutierrez Custom Shop

The Juggernaut, Siren, and Victors are ALL badass! and for that price you could **** near get 2.

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

I'd head down to a local luthier and have them build me a guitar to my specs. Either that or just buy a few more Ibanez S7420's off the bay (maybe 4 of them and new pickups with that much).

Back