Where should what go?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fragzilla

Reaction score
Being a NooB to using pedels I would like to know where I should run them. through the effect loop, in my guitar line? and in which order I should place them.

Boss DD6
Wah
MXR Phase 90
Fish and Chips EQ
Boss Compressor Sustainer
Tube Screamer TS-9

Let me know your thoughts.

thanks,

Jeff

Not too sure about the compressor/TS-9, but I would probably run them like this:

Guitar-->Compressor-->TS-9-->Wah-->Amp Input
FX Send -->Phase 90-->EQ-->DD6-->FX Return

Jeff,

RE: "Being a NooB to using pedels I would like to know where I should run them. through the effect loop, in my guitar line? and in which order I should place them.". That's going to depend on whether the effects are digital or not, and whether your effects loop is parallel or series.

Delay effects, whether digital or analog, are always run after the preamp, and usually after everything else except reverb, which always comes last no matter what. In your case, since your Boss DD-6 is a digital delay, you won't be able to run it in the effects loop of a Rectifier, but you can run it in the loop of a Stilletto or other amp with a series effects loop.

If your effects loop is a series one, then I'd give the same recommendation that eltrain858 did, only with one slight difference. I'd definitely put the TS-9 before the compressor, since 1) compressors make a lot of noise, and you don't want an overdrive device like the TS-9 taking that noise and further boosting/distorting it, and 2) you want the compressor to compress the overdriven signal, not the clean signal.

In fact, as another option, you can even run the compressor in the effects loop, if your loop is series and not parallel, and it will then compress not only the signal from the TS-9, but also the preamp signal from your amp as well. This can give you even more sustain, though the tone might not be quite as good as the compressor before the amp. Try it and see what you like.

The first thing you need to determine, though, is whether your effects loop is series or parallel.

why would it work to run an analog delay in a parallel loop but not a digital one?

Because all digital effects have a slight lag while processing the signal from analog to digital. When that digitized signal is heard in parallel with the unaffected tone of the parallel effects loop, the unaffected tone has no lag. This creates a phase modulation noise like whining or pulsing that renders the effect unuseable.

Chris McKinley said:
Jeff,

That's going to depend on whether the effects are digital or not, and whether your effects loop is parallel or series.

you won't be able to run it in the effects loop of a Rectifier, but you can run it in the loop of a Stilletto or other amp with a series effects loop.

The first thing you need to determine, though, is whether your effects loop is series or parallel.

so what you are saying is the roadster is parallel?

I have never had the type of phasing problem you mention. I used my DD20 with my F50 for two years in the loop and never had any problems.

Jeff,

RE: "so what you are saying is the roadster is parallel?". No, I'm asking you if your amp is series or parallel. I don't know about the Roadster. You should be able to determine this from your instruction manual if nowhere else.

phyrexia,

I don't know what kind of loop the F-50 has. Is it series or parallel? I have an EQ-20, an RV-5, a PS-5, all from Boss, and a POD XT Live that will not work in the loop of my Triple Recto because of that delay. If your loop is parallel and you've somehow managed to get digital effects, especially modulation effects, to work in the loop then I would count you very lucky.

Latest posts

Back