Thiele Re-Tolex project - Just finsihed it, take a look.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsrName

Reaction score
Wow! Nice job, man. Very professional looking. How long did it take and what did you use for adhesive? I'd like to build one and tolex it in wine to match my combo.

I'd sure love a copy of the plans you drew up.

gts, nice job.

Someone post the question of re-tolex, removing the old and apply the new. For diy people, that have the ambition, for someone just doing a one time, its more work that they imagine.

Great work, I bet removing and cleaning up the previous glue was the most tedious.

Excellent job. :p

That looks great. How did you set up the seam? It looks excellent.

Dave

nice looking man.

a trick i have found for removing the old glue is a heat gun. the old glue bubbles up and gets brittle. scrapes right off with a putty knife. a little rubbin' with a palm sander and she's ready to go.

gts,

thanks for your tip on removing the glue. Yeah, lacquer thinner sure softens gooey things. I used to work for a restoration furniture shop. Although I suppose we could use epoxy remover, we found that lacquer thinner cleaner to work with.

Boogafunk,

will heat gun work on say contact cement too? I know a heat gun will remove finishes and glues.

im sure every manufacturer has their own brand of glue for their carpet/tolex. i don't know if there is an industry standard for that, however i have had really good luck with a heat gun, with a lot less mess than chemical stippers. you can even use it to break away some stubborn spots of carpet that just won't peel off, but be carefull doing this as too much heat will melt it and make things worse. the glue is the easy part. if you are going to prepare a cab for a spray type finish the heat gun is the only way to go because it makes the old glue bubble out of the wood in stead if just getting the surface layer. (this sometimes takes a couple of applications) just try it.

That is a nice job. I love the feeling of knowing that you are the one that made it look new again.

I usually use a heat gun, but on newer Mesa cabs, there is so much glue that it takes forever. I might try the laquer thinnner next time and see which one I like more.

Thats a really nice job :D I have recovered a few cabs and use Evo-Stik timebond contact adhesive for the tolex as it gives you a bit of time to move things around and get any bubbles out. It goes off in about 2 hours.

I would leave that other Thiele the way it is. I like the beat up look it has... It would go well with my Mark IV :D

Back