Chorus in Loops and Pedal Levels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjrake

Reaction score
i have a EH small clone chorus pedal and using a DR 3ch head.

in the FX loop (with the send and return knobs at "normal" or 50%) you can hardly hear the chorus effect, but in front of the amp you hear it clearly.

is this because the pedal does not have a volume knob? i can simply have it in front of the amp and use it on my clean channel but i'm trying to avoid an extra foot tap.

would another chorus pedal (like the BOSS pedals) with a volume or send level knob work better in my situation?

Have you tried bringing up the return level? You'll most likely need to put it up close to 100% though because you are right, there is no effect mix (volume) control, which the Boss CH-1 and CE-5 have. You would then bring the effect level as close to max as you like, and mix in with the return level on the loop. You could even manipulate one of the stereo outputs as "wet" only.

Personally I feel that for clean playing the chorus rules in front of the amp. But for simplicity, you can't beat the loop.

A Boss CH-1 is about $90 and the CE-5 $75, and both can be had cheaper used. Personally I prefer the CH-1, but that's just my tastes. Picking up one of those used and just trying it would be best so your ears can judge. And if you do use the chorus alot, it would not hurt to have a backup pedal anyways.

I ended up with a G-Major because I just couldn't get ANY pedal to sound the way I wanted it to through the loop, and I am very happy with my choice. One step on the controller and I'm all set, no stage dance, however this convenence does not come cheap. I still bring some of my pedals to gigs as backup.

Just my 0.02
Dom

domct203 said:
Personally I feel that for clean playing the chorus rules in front of the amp. Personally I prefer the CH-1. Dom
I agree on both points.

Rectifier amp has a parallel fx loop. I have the same issue with my DR. I run delay in the loop but have to put my Chorus and phaser in front of the amp. The Roadster amp has a series fx loop. The series loop allows for proper placement of my pedals.

You can have your amp modified from parallel to series but you lose your solo function by doing so. There are some threads on this topic elswhere on the board.

The issue seems to be the fx loop and not the pedals you own from my understanding.

domct203 said:
A Boss CH-1 is about $90 and the CE-5 $75, and both can be had cheaper used. Personally I prefer the CH-1.
Dom

What are the differences between the CH-1 and the CE-5? Boss says that the CE-5 has been developed on the basis of the CE-2.

So my question is what prompted Boss to go on a different branch of chorus pedals? I guess that the change in name (the change of the E into an H) means some addditional different development.

Sorry if my non-native English is confusing.

igfraso said:
domct203 said:
A Boss CH-1 is about $90 and the CE-5 $75, and both can be had cheaper used. Personally I prefer the CH-1.
Dom

What are the differences between the CH-1 and the CE-5? Boss says that the CE-5 has been developed on the basis of the CE-2.

So my question is what prompted Boss to go on a different branch of chorus pedals? I guess that the change in name (the change of the E into an H) means some addditional different development.

Another interesting info I found in this thread is that some chorus pedals are based on flanger cuircuits while some others are based on delay circuits (at least, this is what I understood). Does anybody know whether the CH-1 and the CE-5 are based on the same circuit?
Thanks in advance and regards

I find I have to boost the signal in my loop to get everything back up to volume. I've noticed volume problems with a few EH pedals I've had. As far as a chorus pedal goes I'm a fan of the Danelectro Cool Cat. In my opinon its's the best chorus pedal in its price range....only downside is it's 18volts and it sucks the batteries back...still I'd take it over a boss chorus any day

I use a MXR Chorus and the options are endless as far as settings. I have used both Boss and DOD pedals in the past but extremely happy with my MXR.

thejay said:
I use a MXR Chorus and the options are endless as far as settings. I have used both Boss and DOD pedals in the past but extremely happy with my MXR.

is your MXR chorus hooked up in the loop or in front of the amp?

Latest posts

Back